View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic3293 View Post
I just activated my SPOT 2 about 2 hrs ago. What benefit does SPOTWalla offer over the provided SPOTAdventures.com? just trying to determine if it is necessary to have both or SA will work.
Well, since nobody else has responded... I have to point out that I've only used a Spot one time, and I did not use the Spot website, so I know very little about it.

From what I gather, the big advantage to Spotwalla is that the user interface is better and has more features. You can embed your map into a web page for example. You can have a number of people shown on the same map, most recently used during the IBR, many of the competitors were shown on the same map.

You can also set areas to avoid. During Nick Sanders record run (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112) it was posted in the thread that during certain times, his Spot page would be made private for safety reasons. If they'd used Spotwalla, they could have set up regions where this happened automatically.

You can set up multiple trips, and they're saved indefinitely.

I have no idea if those features are available on the Spot page, but I suspect they aren't, thus the need for a third party website.

Plus, I can use Spotwalla, and I don't even use a Spot!

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote