View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Day 4 started with a trip to Stansbury Island, on the Great Salt Lake, for target shooting and clay pigeons.

My brother with his short barreled AR-15:

In this shot I'm blasting away at some clay pigeons (it had been a long time since I'd shot a shotgun and until I got back into the swing of it many clay pigeons flew away unharmed ):

I'd never shot a Smith and Wesson M&P pistol before so I'm trying out my brother's:

Stansbury Island is accessed via a dirt road (causeway) from the south. On both sides of the causeway there are fields for harvesting salt:

A salt plant on I-80:

After lunch I started the long ride home. Instead of cruising I-80 yet again, I decided to only take it as far as Wendover. In Wendover I got on Hwy 93 south, to Ely, NV. At Ely I turned west on I-50, which I followed all the way to Fallon.

Southbound on Hwy 93 outside of Wendover:

Interstate 50; The Loneliest Road in America:

Sand Mountain, just east of Fallon, NV:

I got into Reno at about 9 PM Pacific time. My plan was to camp around Stampede Reservoir, near Truckee. Unfortunately when I got there all the campsites had "reserved" signs posted on them. I was also shocked that the National Forest camping fee was $24 dollars a night (steep compared to what I remembered). The temperature had also dropped as I climbed into the Sierras so a motel was pretty tempting. I decided to stay at an Inn in Donner Pass.

The morning of day 5, on I-80 in Donner Pass:

The ride home was uneventful. Nice weather (although windy as usual) and sunny. I stopped briefly in Roseville at the BMW dealership to see if the tall windshield brackets were in yet for the 2011 R1200R's. No luck, they won't even be at stores in Germany until the 18th of this month. Oh well.

All in all it was a fun trip.

Jedi5150 screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 06:54 PM
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote