View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #40
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,518
Day 5

Today we finish Gold Camp Road, explore some of the old gold mines near Victor and head south via Phantom Canyon Road toward the Greenhorn Mountain area.

First we ride some of the trails around our campsite. These trails were much steeper and rockier than we ever anticipated. Made the rocks of the Rainbow Trail feel like tarmac.

Finishing Gold Camp:

One of the old gold mines north of Victor, the Vindicator mine. If you are interested in gold mining history and if you have time, there are lots of very interesting walking trails among old mines in this area:

American Eagles Overlook, amidst a huge active mine. At $1500 an ounce...they will keep going:

One of the best eateries we found, this one in Victor, owned by german immigrants, Gold Camp Bakery on 3rd Street: bread, pastries, soups, sandwiches, were superb. As European as you can get on this side of the Atlantic.

Phantom Canyon:

Son, your sponsorship dreams have been shattered...Refueling in Caņon City:

About to start climbing Oak Creek Grade Road north of Greenhorn Mountain:

Climbing Oak Creek:

Weather begins to close in:

First a few drops...then torrential rain...

Several of the area roads we planned to take were chained, gated or private....so we did a lot of re-routing on the fly cold and wet...

those rain pants we left in Denver were starting to feel really warm and dry...until out of the corner of my eye I see this on a side road...

we make a 180, turn right and a hundred feet ahead we find Ophir Campground, off 165...

For $30, a dry and warm camper, yeah, a little old and with a few dead bugs here and there, but it did the trick. I wasn't looking forward to setting up camp cold and wet. Besides, game room and everything: fussball, ping-pong, pool, darts..:

Safety first:

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 08:14 AM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote