View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #59
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,409
those are some serious whoops! and nice rock ledge. is that the egg i see?

as far as weight goes; in addition to the stock can, you can also swap out the battery for one of those new fangled shorai batteries which will reduce the weight a tad in the front.

definitely agree on the suspenders; i did a foolish near vertical jump a few weeks ago and besides my total lack of ability the bike landed like a ton of bricks and everything hit the stops. luckily bike and rider survived.

oh and in keeping with the theme of this thread, no i haven't ridden the xc800. don't want too. the f800gs was my first 'dirt' bike. i wouldn't trade it for another bike. i will say that to use it as i want to use it will require additional capex to get it setup. nature of the beast; everything needs adjustments to make it 'right' for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
...800 GS needs better shocks, like they put on a KTM...it rides a little rough at speed on this kind of terrain. Tends to bottom out when you jump the woop de doos.

Couldn't resist including pics of the 800 GS on the off road vehicle trails.

Of course, the 800 GS is about the only big bore bike (other than a KTM) that I'd actually attempt to jump woop de doos like this on. Super happy with my 800 GS. Just wish the BMW engineers had thought to put more "industrial strength" parts into the suspension and wheel system. It's a really stable bike when it goes airborne but tends to land hard because of its weight. The rider position is just about in the sweet spot for jumping control (weight could go back a bit). And it wheelies over logs and other obstacles easy enough when muscle is thrown at it. Again having the rider position back a little further would help with that.

It is still a tad too heavy though. Can lose like 8 lbs just by replacing the stock exhaust with aftermarket. It is definitely built with the street in mind but it can be "adjusted" to think like a dirt machine. It also needs a lower first (for technical trail and hill climb work) and a higher 6'th gear (for riding triple digit speeds when touring with the 1200 GS folks).

But hey, I've put about 5,000 miles on my 800 GS in the last 3 weeks...to northern Maine riding more than 90 mph in 90+ degree temps on the super slab, leisurely touring of the Great Lakes, mountain curvees coming down the Appalachians, on the trail in the off road vehicle park (pics above), and in the sandy off road wasteland highways of the SE U.S. Sandhills. Only maintenance I had to do was change the oil and keep the chain lubed. Can't think of any other bike that'll do all that practically maintenance free.

Yes I really love my 800 GS. It keeps me doing this...