View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
It's been said that simply leaving is one of the hardest parts the trip. I originally planned to leave Toronto by mid-May, but my plans kept changing and suddenly July was fast approaching.

There seemed to be endless items on my 'todo' list still to be completed. And more farkles yet to install on the bike. I remember reading a Ride Report here on Adv and telling myself, "hey, stupid, you could be OUT THERE on your own ride, instead of just reading about them!" It was as if I'd rather dream of a trip, rather than actually go on one.

Weeks went by and I was burning money. I was doing "needed stuff" -- visiting relatives to bid my adieu, gathering materials for a documentary I've been making, packing here and there -- but I wasn't really getting any closer to leaving.

Finally I had to ask myself, "is this trip going to happen?" The 4th of July weekend was coming up. I needed to dig deep, just to finally leave. I made up my mind to go, ready or not.

And so it began. After a couple false starts, I was finally on the road!!

I didn't complete my 'todo' list but there was no looking back. My first destination is to visit my best friend in Chicago, and I'll have some time there to make any necessary changes.

I met up with my friend Daniel who lives just outside Toronto. He graciously accompanied me on his Yamaha R6 to the Canada/US border at Sarnia. He's planning his own trip and I know it will be epic.

Obligatory coffee stop at Tim Horton's, near the border at Sarnia

That's Daniel on the left, which means the fat bastard on the right is me.

peekay screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 12:03 AM
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote