View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #52
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Wiring

Today was wiring day. Finished pulling all the old electrical off and did a quick comparison to the harness off the donor bike. Less stuff is good.

I began installing the "new" harness and as expected, found all kinds of loose connections, bad wires etc and repaired as I went along. Also removed anything that was not absolutely necessary. The toggle switch on donor bike had been mounted behind the motor, down low, but when I looked at the bracket I realized that it had been made to mount on the handlebar mount. Extended the wires and it fit perfect. Staying true to the barn fresh theme, I resisted the impulse to clean up, shine or otherwise beautify the bracket.

I also took the opportunity to pick the smallest rectifier of the three available and mounted it tight and inside, out of the way. With the slide carbs installed and the cleaned up wiring and smaller rectifier, should have room for the side panels now.

After it was all back together, turned on the switch and kicked it over with the plugs out and connected, and had spark. Success!

Last shot,the debris field. Why do I show these shots? Maybe it's kind of the same reason we have been leaving the bike raw and rough, it is the reality of the process, greasy hands, busted knuckles and an array of parts and tools spread everywhere. Tomorrow I'll clean everything up, get organized and begin again.