Thread: Duty
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Duty

North Carolina has some great roads but I-40 ain’t one of ‘em. It is, however, my road of choice to extricate the “Pig” and me from the heat. I left hearth, home and Airedale around 7:00 AM with my sights set on first on Asheville, NC 28 over to Deal’s Gap, second, with the Cherohala Skyway thrown in for good measure before heading on over to The Music City on some of Tennessee’s finest blacktop. My bride of 42 years snapped this photo as I prepared to launch.

Traffic was pretty light as I headed west and three hours later, I saw the exit for Maggie Valley. Whenever I’m in this part of the state, I thoroughly enjoy stopping at Dale Walksler’s Wheels through Time Museum. I’ve you’ve never been there, it is certainly worth a stop. It isn’t on a scale as the Barber Museum in Leeds, AL but it has a “personality” that is completely its own. I managed to snap a few pictures to whet your appetite.

The above photo is one of the vintage Cannonball Run bikes. Pretty cool!

Do you think there's a story with this bike and the artificial leg?

Some innovative guy built an airplane and powered it with a Harley engine.

I could have stayed for quite a while but, as you know, duty calls. I continued my westward ride and quickly found one of my favorite rides: NC 28 over to the infamous “Dragon.” I only stopped for one Kodak moment close to Fontana Dam.

The heat was around 90 at this point and I wondered about the possibility of afternoon storms. I didn’t have to go too far before I pulled into the parking lot of the old Crossroads in Time, finding a full parking lot. Before grabbing a little lunch, I was asked to photograph four young Ducati pilots who were displaying their recently acquired “high speed riding awards” from Tennessee’s finest. Just before I snapped the photo, I said, “Look innocent!” Sure enough, one guy start saying, “I am. Just ‘cause these guys . . . . . .” I walked away laughing as the wronged biker received a bunch of grief from his buds.I finished up at Deal’s Gap and headed over to the Cherohala Skyway for a very enjoyable putt over to Tellico Plains, TN.

The so-called "Tree of Shame" is well fertilized!

Those clouds were really piling up and, sure enough, I got a little rain for about three miles. Frankly, it felt great and I just kept riding with the mesh jacket. As I crossed the 3000 feet level, I saw the temperature fall to 73. It stayed a little cloudy most of the way to Music City but, as I approached Murfreesboro, the sun came back out and the heat drove the mercury up once again. I found my hotel with no trouble at all. After a 500+ mile day, I’m going to turn in early. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty warm and I’d like to get an early start.

Thanks for coming along with me. By the way, I’ve been working on what to say to my buddy when I present him with the token of respect. I’ll get it “honed” over the next couple of days as I continue north.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 07:00 AM Reason: typo
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote