View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
Another lap around Nova Scotia

Prologue
After I got back from the Trans-Lab and Nova Scotia last September my long suffering better half Donna told me that she has always wanted to see Nova Scotia and that I had been informed of that many times. You guys know what that means - Time to plan a trip to Nova Scotia. This will be Donna’s first multi-day trip on a moto. The plan evolves. To save her from the rigors of a long slog up I-95 I will ride ahead with all the gear packed and she will fly the next day and we will meet in Bangor ME. I will be carrying all her stuff (except what she will be riding in) on the bike so when she gets off the plane we will be ready to roll.
The Baroness ready to go

Starting out.

I leave Annapolis at 5AM and the temperature is already 80 degrees. It could be a long day! The ride is pretty uneventful as I head north. Is there a worse slab for a motorcycle than the New Jersey Turnpike? If there is I want to avoid it. To skip NYC I trade the turnpike for the Garden State Parkway and the Tappan Zee Bridge. I take 84 through Connecticut and 90 into Mass. Things are going great till I get on 495 near Boston. Things come to a virtual standstill. My feet are on the ground as much as they were at the last gas stop. Zumo has a detour feature and I decide to see what that will do. Looks good as I movel quickly on the back roads and then all stop again. Construction and an accident create another back up. I get back onto 95 and crawl along through New Hampshire and into Maine until the first toll booth on the Maine TP. 2 ½ hours to go 86 miles. Yuck. And I notice that my EZPass does not appear to be registering at the toll plazas. That should prove to be interesting when the bills arrive. But eventually I get to the motel in Bangor.

The adventure begins tomorrow when Donna arrives and we head for St John NB and the ferry to Nova Scotia.

IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote