View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #14
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 380
Looks like yours may be leaking fron the flange itself. Mine leaked from the cracked fitting, but my flange has small radial cracks similar to yours. The Yamabond was used to seal the threads on the new brass fitting. This is a totally wrong place to use a tapered pipe thread because of the weak plastic flange. It looks like ours were overtightened from the factory, causing the cracks. I hate to spend the $300 on a new flange, but even though it's holding now, I don't trust it.(on the 07 GSAdv plate is listed separately from fuel pump). This is one of those parts that should never break within reasonable life of cycle. Try for warranty repair before you fix anything.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegaz View Post
Joe, It could be the fitting like yours I can't tell. When I switch on the ignition I can immediately see fuel seep (not spray) out from the middle of the three flange cracks I'm pointing to below. That one looks like it extends a lot further into the plate than the one in Jim's photo.

I have disconnected the QD a few times when removing the tank but I have never put a wrench on the fitting.

If I get no joy from BMW I'll attempt a similar repair. Is Yamabond the best stuff to use?

Thanks everyone.