View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
Tiz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Jim,

No way mine will fit. Maybe because it's original? The plastic clip is fairly loose inside the boot and pops right out when I push the whole thing into place, no matter what the swingarm angle. Then the bottom of the boot is too compressed to get the swingarm side seated right. Can't pop the top in. I think it was in there with the plastic clip upside down before I took it apart and noticed it wasn't seated.

I'm a fairly competent amateur mechanic. I maintain my sailboat diesel, and all the boat's systems and fittings, was an OMC-corp certified outboard mechanic, have maintained a KLR, Vstrom and XR400.

There ain't no way this boot will fit into the space allowed without distorting it so much it comes apart.

I have to stop for tonight. I'll order a new boot anyway since it's such a bitch to deal with. I tried to remove the swingarm but can't budge the allen bolt on the left side of the bike. Also need a slidehammer to remove the right side pivot. I did apply some propane torch heat to the allen bolt but it won't budge I wans' tcertain how much heat would be needed.

Any advice on getting the swingarm off/on would be helpful at this point.

--Kevin
ex-2001 XR400
ex-2002KLR650
Tiz is offline   Reply With Quote