View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #39
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Day 1

Sierra Vista AZ to somewhere in the woods south of Quemado NM.

The alarm went off early, very early. It was a cool crisp morning and the smell of moisture was in the air, mornings in the desert are unique, very pleasant.

I had a quick cup of coffee, suited up, said bye to the family and pointed my front wheel southeast to Kevin's house just after dawn. I stopped to watch the sun rise just before arriving at his place.

His lovely wife Linda snapped this, and we were off.

We rode east past Bisbee and Douglas AZ where we got on Geronimo trail. This is a nice dirt road that will carry us into New Mexico.

Our plan was to find a dirt path along the border to Antelope Wells. Reviewing Google maps, Garmin maps, and other topo maps had not revealed a solid route, but we were hopeful that we would find something. While taking a break in Mormon Pass we met some border patrol guys, who all pretty much confirmed that the roads across ranches between Geronimo Trail and Antelope Wells all had locked gates.

So, instead of wasting time riding in circles in the desert exploring dead end roads to locked gates we decided we could use our time more efficiently to just head north to Animas NM, east to Hachita, and south to Antelope Wells for the obligatory Mexican border pic.

We stopped for gas and a cold drink in Animas.

We noticed Kevin’s luggage had shifted and he had an issue that needed addressed.

This seriously complicated the trip as right turns are now out of the question.

What’s in that bag you wonder, nothing major, Just the cell phone charger, tools, first aid kit, heart medication, insulin, etc. you know, nothing you can’t live without on the road. So, he worked this out and we scrapped the trip to Antelope Wells for a pic, we had seen the Mexican border in Douglas AZ so we were fine with it still being a border to border trip. Hell, we can both see mountains in Mexico from our houses.

So, after Kevin’s luggage is sorted we ride hardball north to I-10, and basically we are following BigDog’s GPS tracks.

Our trip is off to a good start, with the exceptions of Kevin’s minor fire.

Southern NM has a lot of wide open spaces.

But soon we get to the mountains.

This stretch north of silver city is nice. The sign says high clearance vehicles, which makes me think Jeep trail, pumpkin sized rocks, basically carry your bike, but this was all nice easy stuff, good for the first day.

We saw lots of wildlife.

I had an antelope pacing me for a while, hopefully the video will show it.

We rolled into the national forest and camped. This was my favorite camping, no pay box, no picnic table, no noisy neighbors (well, Kevin might not agree) no stinky hole in the ground crapper.

Prudence dictated no fire, given the dry conditions in the southwest, last thing I want to do is start a fire.

The first day comes to a close, quiet camping in the national forest, what a great day.

I hope to have a first day summary video up soon; I am working on that now, well, working on learning how to do that now.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 07:23 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote