View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
After Shreveport, I continued my journey to Austin, TX, with a stop in Houston to see my old college buddy Matt.

Texas at last! (Actually, I took this picture when I left Texas)

I had a very nice time in Austin with my friend Mara who took me to the city's local hangouts. We ate, drank, and ate some more. What to do after a three-margarita lunch at El Caribe? Cocktails at The Tigress, of course.

Corpse Reviver #2: Gin, Orange Liqueur, Lillet Blanc, Lemon Juice, dash of Absinthe

We also had surprisingly good Indian food at G'Raj Mahal and we drove to Lockhart, TX for an awesome BBQ at Black's. Unfortunately my time in Austin had to be short as I needed make my way to Colorado.

Strange happenings @ Ramada Austin

After migas & chili for breakfast, I rode to Lubbock before continuing the next morning to Amarillo. Looking for lunch, I spotted a big tourist trap (oops, steakhouse) off I-40 called Big Texan, home of the 72-oz steak challenge.

Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, TX

Yup, here if you can eat the 72-oz steak in under one hour, it's free. According to the waitstaff, every day many people try the challenge but almost none are able to finish.

NOT up to the challenge, I ordered a 'small' 20-oz T-bone. I can't imagine eating a steak almost four times as large, in one hour!

Texas-size (to me) T-bone

Sure enough, before long a visitor from Colorado rose to the 72-oz challenge. They started the timer and he dug in to eat the huge slab of meat. My 20-oz T-bone seemed puny in comparison!

Now THAT's a Texas-size steak!! 60-minutes to eat it all...

I didn't stick around to find out if he was able to finish it. I felt my own food coma kicking in, and I still had to ride to Colorado.

It goes without saying that I love to, er, "sample" the local cuisine. From yummy Tex-Mex, spicy chillis, great BBQs to gigantic steaks, Texas delivered. And for that, I am thankful.

Big Texas, Amarillo, TX

peekay screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 12:33 AM
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote