View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #45
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,161
Shepherds Keep Orphanage

Had a really different day today, i've been having a great time but thought it was time to do something constructive with the rideforsmiles.com so got on the internet late last night and research a few of the local orphanages in and around Durban. Came across Shepherds Keep here on the south side of Durban so thought Id just go for a ride and see what its all about.

Had thought i would find one with older children so i could let them sit on the motorbike and maybe take them for a little spin but something drew me to Shepherds keep so off I went.

Arrived out of the blue and rang the doorbell and was welcomed in. Colin and his son in law Andre came down to greet me and we sat down for a chat. Was an interesting talk, told them about my adventure and how it came to be and Colin said its funny you arriving now as just a little while ago they had beern sitting down discussing living life to the fullest and enjoying every moment, exactly what im doing just enjoying every moment of the second chance ive been gifted with after my accident, talk about timing.

They showed me around the orphanage it really is an amazing job what they do for those kids, some coming from absolutely horrific beginnings. I didnt really get emotional about it but did later tonight, it certainly touches you in a special way. You can focus on the babies horrific beginnings but they do fall in to Colin and his families loving caring hands and they have found homes for over 500 abandoned babies all around the world, in Colin's words he is a grandfather to 507 children, what a man.

While I was there I just had this sense I was surrounded by little angels that had been blessed with the gift of life. I left them a little gift as well but there is no need to post what it was its not really important and they gave me a small gift in return which was totally unexpected, what an amazing day and to meet such a beautiful family giving so much to those beautiful babies.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 05:22 PM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote