View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Day 1 - Our giant loop begins!

Chuck posted some pics on his SmugMug account so I will be throwing some in from time to time.

Room 1 only had two double beds so I popped the top on the Eurovan and crashed out up there for the first night.

It looked like this in the morning. Kind of wet! It was not supposed to rain anymore this week. We hoped that was true!

We thought it would be a good idea to start out with a good breakfast, so we went into the bar for it. It was tasty. While loading, we met StroupDog, who was on his own adventure. I talked to him about some good stuff down in AZ and UT and gave him a map to help him on his journey. He gave us some good encouragement. We finished packing up our gear and headed out.

Here are some before pic (Chuck’s Pic).

I poached these loaded bike pics from StroupDog. Check out those fresh tires! The bikes look clean from being out in the rain for the last 24 hours.

Here is the first day on the map.

I started out by leading us out and then not being able to find a road that was not blocked by a fence. I felt like a real dumbass. It started to feel like the trip was taking a turn for the worst. Then finally I got us into the dirt. It was fantastic. All doubt disappeared. The dirt conditions were just right from the rain the night before. I hear they call it “Chocolate” down there! Good stuff. I am used to a choice of either thick poof dust or standing water. It was GREAT!

Exactly what we had all dreamed of. And it was just starting…

We rode thru some of this!

The day started to brighten up!

Found a mascot at a gate. Meet Dewayne (and Dr. Dan)!

Did some of this.

Found a bit of water to cross. First Dan.

Then Chuck.

Cruised up to the top of this hill just because it looked like it might lead to a sweet view (which it did!).

Came down into the Kings River Valley and stopped at this sign.

While chatting we saw something weird coming up the road toward us.

What the hell is that?!??

Then we headed across the valley toward the pavement. At the intersection, I made a big deal of it and called out the pavement. I called the pavement some pretty nasty and derogatory things. I told the asphalt that we did not need it ruining our lives anymore. I told it where to go. I would regret all these things! We turned south and headed down the planned road for a short distance to the locked and posted gate. Damn!

We turned around and hit the pavement going around and headed to the south. We took another sweet gravel road which gradually shrank down until it went thru a ranch and then some swamp land. We came up to Highway 140 and tried to find the gate and road we had planned to take. It was there but it had not been run down for a long time. We were riding across some flat, slightly mucky, white stuff. The road was marked by nothing and occasionally the two tracks would enter into huge open areas of this white muck where you could only ride across and then try to find two tracks exiting off into the desert. Luckily the road generally went straight across these open areas. I felt like a real explorer! The road became more like a road as we headed toward Daveytown. We stopped to take a look around.

We found a geocache in Daveytown.

We continued south. Along the way, my mind was wandering off. I found myself thinking about a friend who was just killed in a car accident this winter. He lived somewhere near Winnemucca. I had never been to his place but had always wondered where it was. It was about this time that I saw the sign.

Holy Shit! I slammed on my brakes and took this picture.

His name is Andrew Betes. Maybe this was his house? Sure is a pretty neighborhood!

We continued down Sand Pass Road. The scenery was fantastic!

We hit the highway and headed for Winnemucca for gas and lunch. Once we entered town, we asked Dan where to fuel and gas and he delivered.
Once we were filled up, we headed back north out of town. After a few miles, we headed to the east and toward Soldier Pass. We rode across a huge flat valley. It was long and hot and straight. It seemed to go on forever!

It was an interesting ride all the way across the valley and thru the flowers. The road was hardly visible thru the flowers. They were tall and hid anything on the ground. There were a couple unexpected rocks and holes that almost took me out. It was one of my most memorable motorcycle riding experiences riding thru all those flowers. It must have been for miles!

Next came Soldier Pass.

Everyone was happy! Wow! This is really a cool place! We were all having an fabulous ride.

Here I am stashing my coat. You can see some of Solider Pass in the background (Chuck’s pic).

This Guy!

Holy crap! Wasn’t that just the coolest road you have ever ridden on? Hell yeah!

From Soldier Pass, we headed toward Midas. This was our first experience with wide heavy use mine roads. They suck! Before we headed down the Haul Road toward Midas, I had to take a look at my front brake. It was not stopping my very well. Took it apart and back bled it. It seemed to work good after that.

The road into Midas was fun (once we got off the haul road). We found a place to eat at the Midas Saloon and Dinner House. We ate some huge burgers and filled up our CamelBaks. We asked about buying some gas there but were told there was none for sale. I think if someone was having an emergency, that they could probably find some around there somewhere tho.

Here is where we ate in Midas (Chuck’s pic).

Here is the gas pump:

Here is my muddy license plate:

We headed east from Midas toward Tuscarora thru Rock Creek. It was getting late and we were in search of a place to camp. I stopped and waited for Dan and Chuck to catch up. I asked Dan for guidance. He told me to head up a faint two track to a camp spot that he had envisioned at the end of it. I think Dan is like the human version of one of those Lucky 8 Balls. I followed the track to its visible end and then just took off for the ridge line cross country. There was Dan’s vision. I proclaimed the spot as Bad Ass Camp. It was sweeeet!

Here are some pictures of it.

Happy Chuck!

Good Night!

MasterMarine screwed with this post 08-06-2011 at 10:56 PM Reason: Stupid tags!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote