Thread: Duty
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #41
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Addendum to Duty

The ride back home was just like I like ‘em . . . no mishaps, no problems. I did have to get a new set of tires so I stopped at Gateway BMW in St. Louis and cannot say enough good about those guys. I “complained” to the general manager, Bob, that the techs had taken almost five minutes to get my bike into the shop. He promised to try to do better.

I’ve thought a lot about this trip on my return and since I’ve been home. On Friday evening our close circle of friends asked how the trip went and I said, “I’ve sent you a link to a ride report on the Adventure Riders forum.” All of your comments have been most complimentary and deeply appreciated. In my opinion, they “made” the ride report. I offer my most humble thanks.

My service in Vietnam brought me into contact with influential people. I saw Alexander Haig, Vice President Agnew and Wesley Clark while there. It was, however Mike, General Wolff and Betty Tisdale who showed me how to turn negatives into positives. The two soldiers instilled the value of being your best in difficult situations. Betty showed me compassion for those caught up in the chaos. Worthwhile lessons all, to be sure.

To the young soldier currently serving in Iraq: Thank you for the PM. I’d love to meet and talk to you when you get back. You have my number.

To 6gun (currently serving in Iraq: Your sentence, sir, “Once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart and with all my soul for the path you have paved for me,” reminds that all soldiers march in the footsteps of those who went before. I’m proud to have been in those ranks. Now you have the baton and, soon, your son will carry it. Godspeed, sir, and thank you for your service to us.

To Patmo: As I mentioned in my PM, welcome home, brother.

Finally, I’d like to end with a quote I heard somewhere: “And today, looking back at that long path of service, my soldier's heart stirs and murmurs from deep within: Thank you, thank you, my homeland.”

Thanks for coming along!

Mike & me

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote