View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #47
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRider2B View Post
Ender, LOVIN' this RR!

Had posted a thread back in the Spring looking for a little 'Rockies Local Knowledge' and it seemed like EVERYONE was telling me I had to wait til LATE July or even August because they had had over 400" of snow last Winter. So I'm curious --- even though you had to pass on a few Passes, it seems like you still had one Helluva good time, plenty of options, and looks like some great weather to boot... What were your typical day-time and night temperatures (once you beat the TX & NM heat) and what time-frame seems the best to you???
Thanks! With regards to the time schedule this year must be a special one with a late winter and now a super hot summer... I had a flexible schedule so I started out as early as I thought prudent (but probably could have gone a week earlier too). This early season trip was amazing and I highly recommend going early to Colorado!

The snow tunnels and amazing views are spectacular (oh yeah... I haven't gotten to that part yet, will post more today!!!).

The weather was absolutely fantastic!! It was around 70 degrees most of the day and comfortably chilly around 40 at night (with sleeping bag). A big difference from the late summer trip I took last year is the absence of constant rainstorms. Last year at the end of summer we were guaranteed rain at some point in the day and sometimes we tore down or put on rain gear more than 5 times in one day! Some parts of the trails are slightly wet from melting snow in the early season but still better than mostly wet from rain late...

The safest way to go about it is to call the ranger stations for the region you are going to ride in. I have my Colorado Trails book (a 4x4 trails book but still good) and it lists many of the popular rides with useful info and ranger station contacts. I spent a few hours calling about 8 different stations and inquiring about the conditions. Most of the rangers were very helpful and knowledgeable of the area and plowing schedules.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote