View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
So last time I left off I was about to get out of Silverton and hit Engineer Pass from Animas Forks. This trip I am taking the easy approach since I am going solo and with a heavy bike I would recommend a riding buddy if you do the entrance to Engineer Pass from 550 south of Ouray.

I am quite familiar with the road up to Animas Forks since we had traveled it several times last year. Luckily there is not much rain in the early season and it was dry and dusty... very fast too! After passing some annoying sightseeing Jeeps I made good time getting to the trail-head to set up the cameras.

Once on the pass I started to get up close and personal with the snow I came to see! I had envisioned a much muddier and wet path because of the snow melt but my worries were eased when I saw dry trail and the cool snow melt tubes put in strategic places (to be seen later!).

Heading up Engineer Pass... I had left my larger bag with my tent so this is the one day I got to travel with a light load!

More snow and now the real fun part begins!!!

Looking back on the trail from one of the switchbacks... I can't describe how awesome it felt to be up here. The air was clean, bike was running well, I didn't have altitude sickness and the temperature was perfect! I never felt the need to get out my extra jacket, even at 13k feet I just had my t-shirt under my mesh riding jacket.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote