View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #12
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
July 1st, 2011 Canada Day

The night before we found a little campground at Centennial Park in Bamfield and set up our tent.

The morning dawned gray and drizzly. Joe got up for a piddle and then decided it was a good day to stay in bed. I was all set to head into town for breakfast and then found this little trailer all set up right there in the campground. They made a really good breakfast sandwich

There's actually one other way to get to Bamfield and that's on foot by way of the West Coast Trail. Most of the west coast of Vancouver Island is covered by the Pacific Rim National Park and the West Coast Trail follows the shoreline from Port Renfrew to Bamfield. It's a rugged 75km (47 mi) trail and it is considered one of the best hiking trails in the world. People come from all over the globe to experience the West Coast Trail. The 2 fellows on the left in the picture above came from Belgium and the fellow standing on the right had also hiked the trail with his wife. The guy in the plaid shirt had come to pick them up and he bought us all breakfast

July 1st is Canada Day, a holiday much like Independence Day in the US and it's celebrated the same way with parades, picnics and fireworks. That morning I saw a poster for the Bamfield Canada Day parade and celebration - I had to stay around for that!

Bamfield is a really cool little place. The main industries are fishing, logging and tourism and there's also a marine research centre there.

The docks

Half of the village is located on that island in the background and the 2 parts of the town are connected by a ferry. I found out later that the island portion of the town is very funky with the streets being decorated with specific themes. Next time I'll have to go and have a look around
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 03:21 AM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote