View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,469
Haven't lost a close friend...but I have lost a friend and some acquaintances. I am very sorry for your loss.

I know several Central Texas fellas have commented that they are re-thinking their riding after a couple weeks of carnage here locally. I hit a fawn (or really, the fawn hit me, taking out my front tire) and broke my wrist and hand pretty badly. Two weekends later, my riding buddy hit an oily spot mid corner and just lawn-darted himself in a high-side. 11 broken bones and still counting. Surgery Monday.

But if history holds, none of my bunch will quit. I have only had two fellas quit over the years and stay quit. One couldn't ever get over the randomness of his two accidents. The other developed a heart issue and became tethered to within half an hour of a major hospital. I still miss both of them on the road.

I stopped riding for 5 or 6 months when my daughter's first year med school tuition was in a critical situation (as in, I had no idea how I was gonna help her pay) and I simply couldn't afford to fall down. So, maybe I "get it". My kid ain't gonna lose her dream if it's something I can control. So, for next 3 or 4 years, if ya see me by the side of the road, and it is pretty much guaranteed that I'm gonna be disabled for a fair bit, run over me again. ;)

So....for my kid. I get that. The rest of it? Not really. I'm gonna ride 2 wheels till I can't. Then I'll get something with 3.

Again, it's a personal choice. Take some time, and then do what feels right.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 10:30 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote