View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #47
BC61 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
A little update.

It looks like the bike situation is getting closer to done. I'll still wait till bike is in hand before disclosing.

I've been training for sometime now but just last month started the hard push. Over the winter I was primarily hitting the trails riding the bike as much as possible. Since the time change in March I have tried to ride twice a week in the evenings for about 1.5 hours and a longer 4 hour ride over the weekend. I had also been running some but last month I decided it was time to get serious and up my fitness level. I've been running 3-6 miles in the morning about four days a week, then racking up mileage on the pedal bike in the evening when I'm not trail riding. Today was to be a day of rest before a long trail ride tomorrow... now I'm wondering if there is a curse on US competitors.

I practically ripped my pinky toe off today! A few spiral breaks and a toe nearly 90 degrees to the foot is not a pretty sight. I straightened it out the best I could but it was still a good 30 degrees out of alignment and it was beginning to hurt bad. Not wanting a permanent injury I decided it was best to go to the doc to make sure it is set straight and will be functional. Doc confirmed it was broke and I straitened it the best it will be. Then taped it, said stay off it for three weeks, expect it two take six to eight weeks to heal. Crap... my training momentum was building. Looks like the running shoes will be put away for now and time to break out the swim suit. I was saving the swimming for the fall when daylight is short but I may jump in the pool sooner than later. I think the pedal bike should be ok too.

In case you're wondering how this happened... unfortunately no glamorous tale behind this mishap. I got up off the couch running to get the phone and caught the toe on the leg of a chair.

This pic is after a few tries at straightening it out. Closer but still not right.

I know... I have stubby toes, heard it enough from my girlfriend and even the nurse today.

The breaks go long ways from join to joint

Should have news on the bike and more soon.

BC61 screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 02:26 PM
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote