View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,868
I left Bamfield around noon after that whirlwind morning of sight-seeing, parades and hot dogs both in buns and out From Bamfield I headed east along Barkley Sound to Port Alberni. For the most part the weather wasn't great, drizzle and low cloud with the occasional patch of sun. The drizzle served to keep the dust down although the Wee was coated with a thin white mud by the time I got to Port Alberni. I only took 2 pictures - I guess I was still overcome by the excitement of the parade

Port Alberni is at the head of Barkley Sound and is a deep water port. Ships load logs and lumber here for Japan and other destinations.

I stopped here for coffee and to wash the mud off the Wee. I've been trying to keep it a bit cleaner since I'd been chastised for it's condition when I'd had the tires changed a couple of weeks previously. Well, I say wash, I mean hose No actual hand to bike contact was made.

From Port Alberni I re-joined the pavement and set off for Union Bay. I was going to meet up with some friends there for a party

Mid-way between Port Alberni and the east coast of the Island is Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park. This is another area of preserved old-growth forest with trees more than 800 years old. The biggest tree in the Park is a Douglas Fir 76 m (235 ft) tall and over 9m (30ft) in circumference.

A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 04:39 PM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote