View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #62
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
Day 3

Up early pack the bikes, gas up and head out. Our goal is to tackle the remaining dirt in NM. It is a beautiful morning, the rains are gone and the air is cool.

So we start on full stomachs we stop by the Cuban Café.

The waitress said they had the best Biscuits and Gravy she has ever had, so I tried it. It was good, but not the best I have had. I asked her about it and she admitted she didn’t get out that much. LOL But, it was still pretty good. So if you spend the night in Cuba, this is a good breakfast place.

So we head for the next leg of the ride, a few miles out of town we see signs saying the road is closed, but we don’t stop, go till they won’t let you go any farther is how we feel. Then we get to the real road block, and signs that the forest is closed. So we are not just dealing with a road issue, but a forest issue.

So, we head back to Cuba and stop at the Cuba Visitor’s Center. We talk to the rangers, and they point out what the big ass sign says, the forest is closed south of HWY 96.

Okay, a quick look at the map and we plot a course up to HWY 96 and east to Abiquiu. Then the plan is to hit 554 North to El Rito where we can jump back onto dirt again. It was a lot of pavement, but it was a pretty ride along Abiquiu Lake.

We make it to El Rito and we pull off where we believe the dirt starts, discuss fuel, drink some water, and I completely overlook the closed sign.

A couple rangers in a truck roll up and we start talking to them about the road, and terrain, how far to this that yadda yadda yadda, and they answer all our questions. Then at the end of the conversation one of them said none of that really mattered, because the road was closed, and he pointed at the sign. Now, had I seen the sign we would have been up in the woods when there were no rangers around. I told them I didn’t plan on smoking or starting any fires, but they still said no. We were a little pissed as the guys in Cuba said the forests north of HWY 96 were open (remember the big ass sign?)

So, we decide to head over to 285 and go north to CO.

In Antonito we head west on 17 to Horca where the plan is to get back on the CDR track. We stop at the Fox Creek Store, and they confirm what we had hoped, all the forests in CO are open. Sweet!

Just up the road to Horca and we are back on dirt, for the first time today, man, were we missing this. Colorado has sweet dirt roads.

Which lead to mountain passes with sweet views.

Just north of Platoro going through some nice twisty rough mountain road, we come across these guys. They work for the forest service, and they had to give their truck to some other guys. In return they got stuck with this car, shod with worn out passenger car tires. No spare, just a pump and a can of goo they hoped would plug the hole. It wasn’t working so I offered to fix it for them.

Nice guys, we chatted for a while till we were sure they were good to go, then we hit the road again.

We make it to Del Norte and to 112 North. The GPS track takes us to a road that appears to be closed for plowing.

In CO we saw a few places where it looked like there used to be a dirt road, but the landscape had been restored, that is what I think was going on here. We found a way around and got onto the track at LaGarita.

By now it is getting into the afternoon and we are thinking about a place to camp. We check the map and decide Storm King is about where we will be at the end of the day.

We make it there and guess what, it is freaking closed. Today is the day that everything is closed.

Upon closer examination we discover that while the chain has two locks on it, the gate is not actually secured.

Dude, we are in.

A few sites were done, and some were under construction still, but we would not damage anything, and be long gone before any workmen arrived in the morning, hopefully.

Check out this virgin fire pit, yeah, we wanted a fire, but no way were we lighting this baby up.

So we made camp, had dinner, and called it a day.

No fee box to leave cash for camping, but after fixing the tire on a forest service car, I figure we are even.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 12:10 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote