View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
1000 mile oregon loop on klx's

After a good deal of scouring the benchmarks mapbook and the gps tracks I got from dvwalker's, unfinished trip report, my brother and I completed a 1000 mile loop around the oregon desert on our KLX 250s.
This is the route which was very nicely posted by dvwalker using an interactive map.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620731

Thanks to you for the inspiration to head out for places unknown.

Thanks also to Wach's for the generous offer to stable our trucks at his place in Bend, which is where the trip actually starts and ends. Nice place you have Dave!! Hope to actually meet you sometime!!

The plan was for my brother Tony and I to meet up in Bend, park the trucks at Daves place, and hit the trail.

Day one began with some last minute running around Bend and as a result we got a pretty late start. The track led us out of Bend and into the forests that surround the city, and in no time we were blitzing along some great two track trails that eventually wound south.

We passed through a couple of logging shows,

and some cool scenery, and suddenly popped out onto the highway at Crescent lake.

It was about 6pm so we decided to stop for the night at the Crescent lake campground, and try to make some miles the next day to catch up on the schedule.

We got up and rolling nice and early, and headed for the hills.
The variety of terrain was impressive, and we chewed through it pretty quickly, but with many stops to take photos and drink water the day also wore on pretty fast.

What I did not get a picture of was the very large Grizzly that climbed up on the road about fourty feet in front of me as I came around a tight right hander. He had come up the slope on the left hand side of the road, he looked sideways at me as I closed on him at about 30 mph and he bolted down the road in front of me with his big ass flapping in the wind!! His fur was shiny and brown and he accelerated away from me around the corner and the next thing I saw was a trail of dust leading up slope on the right side of the road. He was gone. Talk about fast. I think I peed a bit, I was so happy to see him!!

We passed by the usual benchmarks of trips in this area, but it was pretty stinking hot so we didn't linger too long at any of them.

We hit a lot of this, which makes time but gets pretty old after a while.

more great vistas

and we finally rolled into Thompson Reservoir.

Where we road into a campsite and were promptly offered beer by a couple of fine gents, and fellow ADVrider inmates.
Meet Jim and Dave.

Here is a link the trip report from their ride that weekend!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708807

We had a good chat with them as we set up our tents. We had actually run in to Dave and Jim a few minutes earlier at Silver Lake while gassing up.
They were heading for the Cowboy Dinner Tree for some meat, and we unfortunately had no reservations, so we set up our tents and went for a swim. Dave brought back some steak for us which my brother scarfed down like a seagull. It was great meeting you guys, and hope to run into you again some time.

After some more good chin wagging we hit the hay with thoughts of riding the desert the very next day!!

We rode fast and without too many stops trying to make up the half day lost so I didn't get many pictures, but I did stop for were these.

We got to Lakeview for a bite to eat and gas and headed off into the bush and some better tighter trails until we hit a show stopper which was a gas pipeline construction that had trenched across the trail two huge ditches. Sorry no pictures as I was more interested in dragging my bike out of the ditch and trying to find a re route. We ended up slabbing it to Cedarville which was a moderate piss off but in the end we got to where we had to be.

We gassed up and rode on up into the hills and made camp at about 7000 feet on a ridge with a great view to the east. It was windy as hell and we had to load gear into the tents to stop them from blowing away.

We had a rough sleep due tot he wind noise but woke happy and ready to go the next morning. We headed back into Cedarville for some breaky at the local beanery.

redpillar screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 04:56 PM
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote