View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer
redpillar's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 882
Onward to Denio Jct.

We rode out of Cedarville and hit the trail which quickly went from this

to this

which was a lot of fun to ride. In many parts the trail was hardly visible and changed from hard packed sand to soft stuff constantly. I can't remember how long it took to get to the Sheldon Antelope Range but we made it there and stopped for a drink and something to eat,

Signs of another asshole with a gun

just about anything with a sign on it has bullet holes through it around here.

The ride through Sheldon was hi speed and fun. We saw the odd person on an atv but not much else, and by the time we got to the other side it was really hot. I could feel burns on the back of my neck and face. I think I was pretty dehydrated as well because we didn't stop much to drink. Eventually we got to the highway and with thoughts of running out of fuel we cruised into Denio Junction. We met a few other riders that were enjoying some cold drinks in the shade and after having a couple our selves we gassed up and headed for the camping spot up in the hills above Denio. This turned out to be a bad move as the ride was at least twenty more miles and the area was occupied by a few hundred head of cattle. Many gates later we came to the clearing to set up the tents but it was completely covered in cow shit and flies.
After some discussion we reluctantly headed back down the hill to Denio and set up our tents on the lawn. Saturday night at Denio is an interesting eclectic mix of characters. Sort of like a bus station in a big city, but with booze. We enjoyed a great dinner there and met some people and listened to their stories, and told some of our own. I am not sure what time I went to sleep but the music went on for a long time after. The morning came soon enough and it was looking like it was time to pay for the late start on day one. We decided tho skip riding out to McDermit and slab it straight to Fields
which is about 25 miles north and pick up the trail there.

We gassed up in Fields and spent a few hours doing some filter cleaning and chain tightening and chatting with the cool little kid that pumps gas.

We headed north following the tracks, next stop Skirk Ranch.

Nice little hill climb up to the ranchers cabin

We hung out here and drank cool water from the artesian well, filled our water bags and hit the road.
A few random shots of the day. We had a herd of Antelope run across our path which was really cool and we got inspected by a couple of stallions scouting for their herd. The horses were one of the main things I wanted to see on this trip aside from some burros which we did not see. Next time.

We hit a few nice water crossings, one of which was right before Skirks, it looked about a foot or two deep and was about 100 feet long, two track with long grass between the tracks, I rode right into it thinking to myself that I should at least look at it first but I was tired and really hot.
The water was about front fender deep with a muddy bottom. I crossed with the back tire firing a roost about ten feet high going about 2 miles an hour, paddling with my feet. I was happy to get through tot he other side and by the time I got off my bike to get the camera out my brother was half way through, paddling away, quite a sight. Unfortunately no pics. I need a helmet cam, so many good shots get missed. Tony made it through and we laughed about it for a while and carried on.
More water crossings and then Skirks ranch.

and a swim in the reservoir which straightened us right out.

We ate a bit and rested for a while and headed for the waypoint that amrked the camp spot for the night.

This spot was not too bad but it was only about 5 pm and we decided to carry on for a while towards a hot springs waypoint. There was a water crossing coming up that we thought would be good to get out of the way tonight instead of in the morning.
If you look at the interactive map on dvwalkers post you will notice right after the day 5 camp there is a small river/wash that you need to cross. We rode along on a pretty well non existent path beside a fairly deep meandering creek hidden mostly by long water grass. I was riding in front trying to keep fairly parallel with the track on the gps and out of the hidden creek. I was doing a pretty good job too, until my front wheel dropped into a hole and I came to an abrupt stop. I put my right leg down into space, and I tumbled sideways off the bike flat on my back into two feet of cool clear water. My bike was on its side nearly upside down, as I struggled to my feet and grabbed my bars I could hear my brother laughing his ass off.
I am glad he didn't have a helmet cam, I think the swear words are still echoing off the canyon walls out there. Actually only one swear word repeated many times….
Once we got my bike on it's wheels we scouted around for a way around but we were pinched between a high rock outcropping on the left and the deep water to our right. We decided to go back to Skirks and camp for the night and figure out a work around. This turned out to be a great idea. We had a really good time camped out in front of the gate and lit a fire on the road and watched stars eating junk food and drinking rye and water.
Next morning I was awoken by a diesel truck motor. I looked out of my tent and saw a large horse trailer being unloaded by a crew of cowboys. I got up and threw on my gear and went to talk to the boss.
We chatted for about an hour, and I learned a bunch of cool stories about the Skirk Ranch and the other homesteads around the area. He also told me that he had not seen that much water in the desert at this time of year in thirty years. He was moving a herd from the range to another area.
I took a few shots while I waited for Tony to get his gear together.

Ruins of the first homestead at Skirks

We decided to head down to the highway and go get gas in Adel. We were getting low on fuel and figured we would double around to the Hart mountain hot springs from Adel and still not miss too much of the trail.

We got to Adel and stopped at the restaurant/bar for gas and lunch. We ended up hanging around for a couple of hours, chatting with the lady and taking a few shots.

Notice the Fox news fear hour on the TV. Every time I hear that shit my blood pressure goes up a notch. You can't get away from it.

The ride up to Hart Mountain went by fast enough and soon we were setting up our tents and looking to soak. It was early in the day so we had lots of time to do some maintenance, and mess around.

Tony had lost his runners a on the second day and had fashioned a new set of moccasins out of what he had available. He wore these throughout the trip. He also refined them each time we stopped to camp. By the time we finished the trip they actually looked pretty good. He kept them to wear around the house.

redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote