View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
Day 3 - Grand Staircase-Escalante

8/11/11

The truck was parked and locked up and the Space Shuttle was loaded down for our journey onward. Wait for it...look at all of our crap!

Sadly, we left Bryce.

Mike wanted to hit Grand Staircase-Escalante National Park. 25 miles or so down a crappy “well maintained” road (it varied from sand to marbles), we turned down a small road towards some slot canyons. We haven’t done any hiking, and it wasn’t too terribly hot outside - yet.

The slot canyons were pretty neat, quiet, and breezy.

We ran into a cool couple (Cliff and his wife). Cliff actually owns a KTM, so we didn’t have to explain the bike to him. They are an adventure couple. In their Toyota truck, just off to see the world. They’ve lived everywhere, now residing in Hawaii. I hope that will be Mike and I in our retirement.

We left them and Mike insisted on going another 30 miles down the road to Hole In the Rock. Where we should be able to hop into Lake Powell.

It was scorching hot by this point, so a dip in the lake would be nice. There wasn’t a soul on the road, nor at Hole in the Rock, which should’ve been an indicator.

Yeah, the water wasn’t right there. You had to hike, no rock climb down to it. I made it half way and decided I was done. We hadn’t had any lunch and we were scary low on water. I knew that if I went to the bottom, I wouldn’t made it back up to the bike. Plus, Mike HATES heights.

I’m a novice rock climber, I love it. It doesn’t scare me, I know to trust my feet and leg muscles to get me where I need to go.

MIKE HATES HEIGHTS.

This was the point where I stopped.

He struggled, but was a champ and made it back to the top. And then we were tapped out, no energy, NO water. Shit. Its hot and we are 60 miles from Escalante. I actually got a bit scared. But my king, spooled the Space Shuttle to Mach-1 and got us to Escalante in record time. We stopped and got two gallons of water and some ice-tea. I should really take out stock in Arizona Ice Tea.

It was getting dark but he knew of a camp ground near a creek. Calf Creek here we come. Amazingly, we spotted Cliff and his wife in the same camp ground and lamented about our day to each other. Great people.

We set up the tent by the light of the almost-full moon, and suited up for our “bath”. The camp ground has a small pool set up in the creek. It was ICE COLD but so necessary after the long and difficult afternoon we had.
After some boil in the bag dinner, we cozy-ed up and finally went to sleep.

Another day down...

Blog: Tales from the Adventure Wife

jadedillusion screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 04:40 PM
jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote