View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
Day 5 - Back to Calf Creek

8/13/2011

We woke early in Mexican Hat in order to make it to Halls Crossing for the first ferry at 9AM. Somehow, after a terrible nights sleep in the Roach Motel, we were up and on the road by 7AM.

If possible, Mexican Hat is more beautiful in the morning light than in any other light we have seen it in.

A typical portrait of the two of us:

Up and over the Moki Dugway, we blazed our way towards Halls Crossing.

The reds are more red in the morning. The sun hasn’t had time to bleach them out.

There is something so solitary about being on the bike. Yes, we’re 2UP, but when you are the only vehicle on the 80 mile stretch from Mexican Hat to Halls Crossing, you feel quite alone. A good kind of alone: the kind that brings a smile to my face and makes me feel at peace. Well that and the head set in my helmet took a crap. I can hear music and hear Mike talk, but I can’t talk to him.

Our chariot awaits!

We crossed right at 9AM and had an over priced breakfast in Bull Frog. At least the restaurant had a fantastic view of Lake Powell.

Onto Burr Trail and Capital Reef. Since we hit the park before the heat did, I enjoyed Capital Reef more. I could appreciate the land and scenery, instead of focusing on how hot and miserable I was.

Plus, the park is pretty much empty, only a car here or there, instead of packed like Zion was. We contemplated heading through the entire park, but had our hearts set on camping at Calf Creek again, and it would’ve put us too far away.

So up the switch backs and out through Long Canyon towards Boulder it was.

I still really love Boulder, small, quiet, and peaceful.

Thankfully we hit Calf Creak around 1PM, because most of the camp sites were already spoken for. We managed to find a small one, close to the creek. We put up the tent, got into our bathing suits and took the chilly dip again.

The camp ground is packed with hikers during the day, so we had to compete with people and fish for dipping space.
And its pretty much confirmed. All of Europe is on vacation in Utah right now.

The rest of today was spent doing a creek hike in the cold water. I wasn’t up for the 3 mile round trip trek to the falls. Plus, I want to save something for the next time we visit. This camping spot is perfect for our dogs: hiking and water.

The clouds rolled in and sprinkled on and off throughout the night. It was fairly hot in the tent too. Odd how the night before last we froze in the same campground.

Blog: Tales from the Adventure Wife

jadedillusion screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 05:52 PM
jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote