View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
So the front of your plate is not bolted onto anything?
The face of the countersunk screws press against the original mounting stubs when the bike is on the sidestand?

Is this why the US competitor to Blackdog says you should not mount the Blackdog equipped bike by stepping on the sidestand?

If you drop the bike on the floor, wont the cases will crack just as if there was no relocator bracket fitted as the flat plate will deflect easily in that direction?
First question yes, they don’t press but sit flush.

I guess why BD says you shouldn't mount the bike using the side stand is the same for all bikes; you just don’t because it’s just too much force on a small area. Its just not one part but the sum of.

If you drop the bike its not necessarily the side stand area that’s going to take the brunt, this plate is made from a substantial piece of 6mm steel, even if it did put force on the case mount points its going to be a compression force, and not a twisting force. On all the examples I’ve seen of damaged cases, I doubt any were caused by lateral compression.

I did a quick test tonight by pulling the bikes weight off the rear wheel onto the side stand and trying to feel any movement with my fingers between the cases mount points and the plate. Nothing, it’s absolutely rock solid. Then again it is 6mm steel, I was thinking of going to 8mm but you need some sort of reality check, you can get 6mm thick rsj’s (I beam), I want it to be strong but not so strong it could damage the frame in the event of an off.

charlie264 screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 06:58 PM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote