View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #56
sergey78
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Mark,

I did the Trans Lab on my Wee Strom this August and ended up at the same RV park in Port Hope, you guys stayed in. For some reason it got extremely cold that night. I arrived after dark and mentioned to the owners that their place has been in the magazine and that article said it was possible to stay in the washroom. They were laughing hard. Their response was: "...and they put THAT in the paper!!" They told me that they allow people to stay in the washroom from time to time. Guess where I stayed that night. Right next to the hot boiler!. I gave them the AMA magazine article as a present.

BTW, to anyone planning Trans Lab from Quebec. Instead of taking 389 from Baie-Comeau, keep going on 138 to Port Cartier and take the old logging road from Port Cartier to Relais-Gabriel. For some reason that road is not on Google maps, so majority of people have no idea it exists. It exists, however, on free tourist maps that you get from Quebec tourist information booths, or they will mail them to you if you email them. Road goes through some king of wilderness reserve park called "Reserve faunique de Port-Cartier - Sept-IIes" I think. If follows a railroad and "Riviere MacDonald". Locals go to this reserve for fishing/hunting/sighseeing. Fishing there is amazing. You'll be riding through a park on dirt, gravel, sand, etc.. There are no logging trucks, or any kind of other trucks! Road is yours. Some equipment vehicles can be seen here and there (i saw 3 whole day). You can also meet some locals going fishing/hunting. About 300 kilometers. There are no gas stations/service. There is a campground right at the beginning of the route near Lac Walker. $28 CDN, but you can camp anywhere. Last stretch of the road (about 70km) is not maintained anymore , as the logging company has moved out. Mostly sand. One 4'x5' pothole. You will be kissing gravel on 389 when you are done with that road.

Have fun.
Attached Images

sergey78 screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 08:22 PM Reason: Changed picture size
sergey78 is offline   Reply With Quote