Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #55
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,061
8/23/2011
Daily Mileage: 480 miles
Overall average: 45.9 mph

photo P1000020.jpg

Didn’t have internet access yesterday, so this 1 day old news. Not too much to report. Got on the road at about 10:30 and interstated it most of the day. Made it from the bottom of PA to the northwestern portion of North Carolina. Had a quick gas station lunch and then hightailed it. The past trips, I usually took a generous lunch at a sitdown joint, so this is a bit different. Since it’s a liaison to the TAT, I should just try and get the beginning as soon as I can. What I’m really looking forward to is the mountains in Colorado and Utah.

Towards the end of the day, the road that takes me to the my place of roost was a fun twisty Highway 212 – maybe some of what I can expect on the tail of the dragon tomorrow? Finally made it to the Creek Ridge Campground in Hot Springs, NC. This has got to be one of the most ideal campsites, I’ve been to. Joshua Tree was pretty fantastic, but this is different. To get there, I had to take a steep trail down to a platform at which point, I hoofed it the last 250 feet down to the rivers edge. Typing this report as I speak in the dark of night. The sound of running water beside me. Just on the other side is a highway on higher ground, but not many cars come by. The whole experience is very Ewok village-like.

photo P1000020.jpg

Click the image below for the steep trip down. It was pretty loose stuff. It was the end of the day, so I took it realll easy going down. I'm embarrassed to show the full video. There was a portion where I was sliding and "grinding" down the trail my rear tire at 45 and my front pointed straight.

Also, I busted my campfire-starting-cherry. I had a tough time of it. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after several hours, I could tell that the wood was moist since it was smoking and evaporating the water from the cut end as it burned down. It really didn’t burn well at all, I had to blow on it every 5 minutes to keep an actual fire going.

If any of you hippies or manscouts out there could give me advice on doing it the right way, I would appreciate it. Off to bed now. Looking forward to a bath in the river tomorrow. (correction, bath was not had. Went a hot shower in the morning)

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:11 AM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote