View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
4badboyz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
day 2

This morning I pulled back the drapes and couldn't believe my eyes. Clear blue skies A picture perfect day for a ride.

We loaded up and head east with the hope of making Baie Comeau for dinner. The ride to Quebec City was an absolute joy in comparison to what we had endured the previous day, but the real surprise was the drive along the 138 on the north shore, east of Quebec. This area is so pretty it's a worthwhile destination all in itself. Rolling hills with elevation changes and beautiful shoreline villages with colourfully painted cape cod homes. We were in heaven.

Quebec City

About 30km from the ferry at Tadoussac, we arrived in a little town called Saint Simeon. There was a roadblock up ahead. I figured it was another cleanup crew removing downed trees from the road. Unfortunately not so. The hurricane has washed out the road in two spots and will not be repaired until tomorrow at the earliest. The town also has no hydro. 100,000 people on the north shore are without power.
The alternative route would be for us to head northwest 125kms to Saguenay where we could cross the Fjord, then back across to Tadousac another 125kms, but that road is washed out too. If the road isn't ready to open, we will have to take the ferry south across the St Lawrence to Riviere du Luop, then east up the shore to Matane where we can ferry north across the St Lawrence again to Baie Comeau. Two days on the road and already we're a day behind schedule.
Our concern is that if there is this much damage here, what's it going to be like in Labrador?
On a positive note, we couldn't be stranded in a more beautiful setting. We rented a cabin overlooking the St Lawrence and sat on the porch with a pint watching dozens of whales swimming up the river. What a fabulous surprise

Baie St Paul Cathedral. every little town has at least one of these.

Lunch in Baie St Paul. the best pannini sandwich ever! curried chicken with cumin and raisins.

view from the front porch Saint Simeon, gorgeous.

We watched a couple of dozen beluga whales work their way up the St Lawrence from the front porch.

chef Owen at work.

Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...

4badboyz screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 02:14 PM
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote