View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
4badboyz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
day 5

today was an absolutely beautiful day for a ride. 12c in the morning, 23c in the afternoon, and for once, a TAILWIND
Our plan was a half day ride from Churchill to Goose (286kms) with a little sightseeing along the way.
We crossed paths with 4 other riders going counter clockwise today.
The road is in great shape and we were able to stand up and bomb it at 100-110kmh for long stretches at a time. There are a couple of sections with deep marbles that demanded your full attention, so just be careful
At one point, probably at the halfway mark, I thought I had a front flat. I was standing on the pegs doing 110kmh when the front end went into a wobble. I slowly backed off the gas and the wobble got worse. The bike wouldn't turn and I quickly found myself on the wrong side of the road. I pulled over to the other side and stopped expecting a flat, but no flat... the gravel is sitting on top of 2-3 inches of soft sand. For the most part, the road is in great condition, but this was one small reminder that you need to be careful and pay attention ALL the time or it will bite you!!!
Owen being the veteran of Patagonia, New Zealand, Thailand etc, gave me a simple tip that allowed me to stand up for much longer periods of time without getting sore feet or tiring. He told me to fold down the passenger pegs and stagger my stance one foot on a rider peg and the other on a passenger peg. Great tip, I was able to stand for half an hour at a time before having to reposition

another of the dozens of rivers that cross the translab

these little road crew towns are everywhere. unfortunately, the translab will be asphalt from one end to the other in a few years.

here's where I had the flat that wasn't a flat. Turned out the road surface changed to 2-3" of silty soft sand/gravel... watch out!

They don't call this place "The Big Land" for nothing

92kms west of Goose, the gravel ends.

Muskrat falls scenic lookout. a great place to free camp outside of Goose.

Muskrat falls. 10 minutes off the highway and a 10 minute walk through the bush. well worth the effort!

better get up there soon if you want to see the falls Quebec Hydro has plans to dam this one next.

the wish you were here postcard

robocop hiding from his creditors

Happy Valley is a complete shithole. We weren't in town for 30 seconds before the first native asked us to buy him a coffree followed by money for lunch. In the morning the same guy btracked us down to the hotel and was waiting outside for a handout.
Seemed like every girl nover the age of 12 was pushing a stroller.
Can't get outa here fast enough.

Tomorrow is a long day Goose to Port Hope Simpson, Over 400kms, hope the Orange pig can do it, she likes her petrol.
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...

4badboyz screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 11:23 AM
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote