View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Tony's TAT summary

Bikes
2007 KTM 450EXC (crazybrit) and DRZ400 (remarksman)

Transport
One night Brian was having dinner with his neighbor and the topic of our TAT trip and the issue of bike shipping came up. It turned out the neighbor had relatives he wanted to visit in Colorado so a plan was hatched, Brian and his neighbor would truck the bikes out. I would fly out. Brian's neighbor would drive the truck back to Oregon and see his relatives. Brian picked my bike up on

Days (each will eventually link to that days ride report)

Day 1, Aug 20, Golden CO to Salida CO
Met my friend Toddler at 9.30am and rode to Salida where we would pick up the TAT.

Day 2, Aug 21, Salida CO to Lake City CO
Late start (~10.30am). Toddler left for home near Sargent. We spent 2 hours on some non-tat jeep trails which were fun.

Day 3, Aug 22, Lake City CO to Rico CO
Original plan was to take an extra half day and explore San Juans, then ride to Rico but sickness led to a late start (11am) which nixed that.

Day 4, Aug 23, Rico CO to Moab UT
Early start (9am), smooth days riding

Day 5, Aug 24, Moab UT to Green River UT
Late start (11am) due to bike maintenance, crash, nav issues near Green River, heat. Bailed back to Green River and decided to regroup for next day.

Day 6, Aug 25, Green River UT to Richfield UT
Early start (8am) but more nav issues near Green River, still an epic day

Day 7, Aug 26,. Richfield UT to Baker NV
Early start (9am). Easy PM of riding on fast roads.

Day 8, Aug 27, Baker NV to Eureka NV
Epic day of riding.

Day 9, Aug 28, Eureka NV to Battle Mountain NV
Short day, bike maintenance in PM.

Day 10, Aug 29,. Battle Mountain NV to Fields OR
Long long day of riding.

Day 11, Aug 30, Fields OR to Lakeview OR
Easy day

Day 12, Aug 31, Lakeview OR to Chemult OR
Detour from TAT onto OBDR.

Day 13, Sep 1, Chemult OR to Portland OR
Final leg back home

Packing list
Giant loop containing:
Tool bag containing following (to be completed)
Plastic box containing electrical connectors, spare wire, solder, JB weld etc (should have downsized the container).
Toiletry bag
Lightweight bivy sack (for emergencies)
2 pairs underwear
2 t-shirts (only wore one)
1 pair cotton shorts
1 pair swim shorts (unnecessary, wore them in motel hot tubs but underwear would have worked just fine)
1 poly pro base layer (only wore it on final day leaving Chemult)
1 pair sandals
1 baseball hat
Enduro jacket
Fleece liner for Enduro Jacket (only used it on final day walking to breakfast)
2 MX jerseys (one would have been fine)
Klim Dakar pants
2 pairs MX socks (I like clean socks each day and they would often not dry overnight, so spare pair was nice)
Acerbis Koerta pressure suit
Knee guards
Alpinestars Tech 10 boots
Dirt gloves and leather gloves (didn't really need the later)
Camelback with 3l bladder.

What worked well
- Giant Loop bag was truly excellent though I managed to wear a hole in the underside from rubbing on the PMB rack.
- KTM 450, no mechanical problems, some slight weeping from HT cooler and some clutch slipping due to the Clever Lever (fortunately I brought along the stock lever).
- CycoActive barback mapcase. We carried 11x17 copies of the relevant Benchmark pages with the route highlighted. Super easy to open up and navigate in the large. Mostly useful once we got to Nevada.
- 276c+ GPS, modified TT mount (176c) and Rally Management nav bracket.
- HYDRAPAK Big Sur Hydration Pack. 3 liter capacity. Bladder hose is removable (quick connect though it got harder to remove as time passed). Bladder is reversible for easy cleaning and has a much better sealing system than Brians. Minimal capacity for tools which is what I wanted, small size, tools were on the bike. Best of all. on closeout at CycleGear.com for $40. Only thing I don't like is that the sternum strap is too short,.

What didn't work well
- Air filters: Original plan was to use a filter skin on air filter every 2 days. That wasn't practical, ended up needing to change skins every day and even then the filter underneath needed cleaning twice. I should have brought a half pint of Belray along for reoiling. Moab Powersports oiled my filter with Belray for free first time and I bought a Uni recharge kit in Lakeview (I was dubious that the cleaner would remove Belray, store claimed it would, it didn't, so I had to resort again to gasoline).

- First oil change. Should have brought oil for 1st change with me from home. This would have allowed me to change the oil at night in Moab rather than having to wait until 9am the next morning for dealer to open. This would have allowed us to leave ontime at 9am. After this I carried the oil for the second change on the bike.
- Time management in general. Leaving any earlier than 9am seemed beyond us on a regular basis. A few days we were even later.

Maintenance
Filter skin change every day.
Changed oil (no filter change), rejetted and cleaned/reoiled air filter at Moab ~700 miles (many thanks to Moab Powersports).
Changed oil and filters at Battle Mountain (~1500 miles)
Cleaned and reoiled air filter at Lakeview Oregon

Where we stayed
Salida: Supposed to stay at a Hostel in middle of town, but they totally screwed the booking up, so we slept at an overflow house. $25 per person.
Lake City: BackCountry Basecamp. Cheap, spacious and excellent. http://www.lakecitybasecamp.com
Rico: Circle K Ranch, 10 miles south of town. Half the price of the motel in town. http://www.ckranch.com/
Moab: Super 8
Green River: Motel 6. First room smelt of urine. Wifi extra and barely worked. Was cheap but probably better option as there are plenty of choices.
Richfield: Days Inn. $55 for a excellent room with full breakfast for 2. Owner said times are very hard and lots of motels, hence low rate.
Baker: Silver Jacks. Made phone reservation. Interesting place if you like eclectic. Pretty good pizza. Basic room but fine. http://www.silverjackinn.com.
Eureka: Best Western. $100 for last room (smoking). Most expensive motel of trip. Saturday night, only two motels in town, Sundown was fully booked. Should have made reservation.
Battle Mountain: Owl Club. $45. Very basic.
Fields: Fields Station. Denio was fully booked. Made reservation. $65. Great place.
Lakeview: Executive Suites. $65 and overpriced. Small room overfilled with furniture. Major hassle with owners upon leaving.
Chemult: Crater Lake Inn. $45. Cheap, decent room, nice owners, two free beers upon arrival

crazybrit screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 12:54 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote