View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,545
Day 1

OK, and we're off ......

We left Brian's mums house in an undisclosed location between Denver and Boulder, about a 30 minute ride to meet Todd(ler) at the 7-11 in Golden.

I spotted Todd's TE610 as soon as we turned off the main road but Google maps (incorrectly) claimed the 7-11 was actually another mile into Golden so I humored Brian and followed him, aka honked my horn and he ignored me. Eventually we turned around and met up with Todd who was propping up the wall of the 7-11 all nonchalant like, as is his way.

We rode Hwy 6 for a bit,, then a tiny bit of I70 to Idaho Springs where we headed up some jeep trails to meet the aforepictured German Shepherd puppies which were adorable.

We had lunch in Georgetown. As losers do. we naturally assumed that lunch was kind of an everyday thing when out riding but this is where Toddler (a TAT veteran who I'm fairly sure is part of a crew) educated us that stopping for lunch is a luxury on the TAT which we had better learn to do without. Shit this TAT thing is going to be harder than I thought, no lunch stops? Not even a sack lunch?

After this we headed towards Salida. At some point along the way, Todd started circling on his TE610. I couldn't make sense of it from a distance. Then he stopped and raised his hands up and started chanting. As Brian and I drew closer we saw that he'd managed to zero in on some kind of federally protected hawk and slay it. It was lying on the ground flapping the last couple of beats of it's wings. This is my first warning that I'm not going to be tough enough for this Colorado riding.

Riding towards Salida

Later we rode a pretty cool jeep trail that descended down into Salida. Here is Brian descending. Loose and steep.

We arrive in Salida but there has been a screw up with the accommodation. We were supposed to be staying at a hostel in town. Todd booked on Wednesday. It's now Saturday. One of the owners walks out to tell us that somehow they double booked. We end up sleeping in the house of a friend of the Hostel owners. It's far enough from town that we have to ride in. Since we're sick of the dirt gear, we don shorts and sandals for the ride. We eat at The Fritz, pretty good but everything is closed by 9pm.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 12:53 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote