View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
48 rear, 5/16th bolt, nothing else changed.
Thank you for providing this additional information, Rufus. My Spud Rollers have worn very little over thousands of miles, but I now suspect my initial success was highly dependent upon replacing the OEM "chain slipper" with a sealed bearing roller. I recently experimented by moving my single Spud roller to a higher location, and the wear was greatly accelerated by the much higher, constant, downward pressure of the drive chain upon the roller. In my experience, my Spud Rollers are much more resistant to chain impacts than the commercial chain rollers I had previously employed. Therefore, my polyurethane rollers have worn very well for me when they were placed in the OEM bolt holes, and positioned lower beneath the drive chain.

I replaced my OEM "chain slipper" with a commercial, sealed bearing, chain roller, and it has worn very little. Therefore, this "chain slipper" roller has preserved the initial chain placement very well, and undoubtedly contributes significantly to the durability of my Spud Rollers. Here is a photograph of my commercial, "chain slipper" roller after 16,500 miles of wear.

If I may ask, is your OEM, chain slipper worn down significantly? If so, the resulting, lower chain height might have adversely affected wear on the Spud Roller, much the same as when I raised the position of my single Spud Roller.

If you wish to keep the OEM "chain slipper," you might wish to experiment with a single, commercial, sealed bearing roller in the same position where you had the Spud Roller installed. The commercial, sealed bearing roller might be more resistant to constant pressure, but it will be less resistant to chain impacts than my Spud Rollers. Of course, since you only slightly enlarged the front mounting hole in the chain guide, you can always revert to the OEM, chain guide slipper.

However, if you decide to replace the OEM "chain slipper" with a commercial, sealed bearing roller, as I did, I will be happy to send you another pair of Spud Rollers, free of charge, so you can test them, and report back whether or not the "chain slipper" roller solved the problem of accelerated wear on the Spud Roller. To duplicate my successful, R&D testing, I also suggest you don't apply grease to the Spud Roller.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 12:11 PM