View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Trails of the West Lite 2011-CO, UT, WY

This is a ride report of a route ridden by myself and The Toyman and was originally laid out by my good friend 10Cup. The plan was for 10Cup, The Toyman and myself to all take off from Dillon, CO together, and after three days of riding The Toyman and I were going to split off from 10Cup and cut across from Flaming Gourge to the beginning of the Oregon Trail and The Toyman and I would ride from there back to Dillon. As it turns out, 10Cup had a schedule conflict and had to leave a week early by himself and The Toyman and I took off from Dillon on the originally scheduled date. The entire route can be seen on 10Cups ride report. Here is a link to that report. As it turns out, The Toyman (Bill) and I left Bills truck in Georgetown, CO with some friends of mine Keith and Sue. Keith was kind enough to take us up Guanella Pass South in his car the first day we got there. The following photos are of Georgetown and Guanella Pass.

This is Georgetown from Guanella Pass Road.

The summit of Guanella Pass.

A thunderstorm came thru while we were at the summit so we waited it out before starting back down. This would become the pattern of things in the days to come as far as afternoon showers. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees with the shower to about 46 degrees and the visibility to zero.

We spotted some mule deer on the way down. We actually spotted a nice buck up close to the summit with about a three foot high rack but he was so far away a photo would not show you much. We had a high powered binocular that we scoped it out with and it was a beauty.

Every stream we saw on our ride was running about like this one along the road coming down from the pass. There is still snow melting up at the higher elevations I am told which is the reason for the afternoon showers I believe.

This is South Clear Lake I believe.

This is Keith and Sues log home which Keith built himself. Really cool. Also Bills truck with our bikes in the back.

Spent the night at the Mountain Inn in Georgetown and headed out on our bikes first thing Sunday morning August 28th. I have included a few pics of our friend Keith and some of Bill and I as we get ready for the ride. Rode the slab up Hwy 40 over Berthoud Pass by Winter Park to a town called Fraser and headed west on the dirt.

Stopped to adjust our gear and take a bit of a break and shed some jackets as the day started pretty cool but warmed up quiickly.

As we rode on the road turned from a bit rutted to downright funky. As you will see from the following photos.

We were almost to our cutoff road and we run into a locked gate and had to backtrack. The road was so narrow and with deep ruts on the sides that we came across a four wheel pickup truck with hunters and they had to fourwheel over the deep ruts on the side so that we could get by them without dropping down into the deep muddy ruts. That was just before we hit the locked gate. Man, that was a workout. We finally got clear of that area and came out on the open range to get to Williams Fork Reservoir.

[

Then we rode along the Colorado River to Kremmerling where we stopped for fuel and a little food and drink. Met some fellow ADVers headed to the Rocky National Monument Park up by Grandby.

After leaving Kremmerling we headed up Cr-1 also known as the Trough Road. These next photos are of Gore Canyon off the Trough Road at a overlook and below is the Colorado River and the Union Pacific Railroad line.

[

There was a older gentleman on a bicycle trying to fix a flat. We offered our assistance but the tube he was trying to use had a hole in it and it would not take air. He had a hand pump and I pulled out my WalMart special 12V pump and he had a valve stem adapter but to no availe. We took a cell phone number to call his next of kin but about the time we were shoving off a family in a jeep pulled in to the overlook and I told them this guy really needed help. They agreed to haul him and his bike into Kremmerling which is where he was headed anyway.

Off we go on down and across the Colorado River toward Hwy 131.

Here is the start of the beatle infestation damage to the trees. Notice the dead trees. There are vast areas of trees destroyed because of the beatles. We are now starting up the other side of Gore Canyon.

Further on down the trail with the BRP in hot pursuit. We pass thru some areas where they are logging and then into the Aspens.

One of the few water crossings that we encountered. As fast as all the creeks were flowing I was a little concerned about water crossings that we might encounter but to my surprise there really weren't any.

We rode into Phippsburg to get a motel room at the Black Dog Inn but it was closed for the season so we went on to Meeker. Meeker was our intended destination for the end of the first day but our ride west of Fraser took a lot longer just because of the technical nature of the riding. We rode along the North Fork of the White and Fawn Rivers and then the White River. This is a really beautiful area. So lush and green along the river.

We finally arrive at Meeker and have supper at a Mexican Restaurant. Got a room at the Blue Spruce Inn and the accomodations were really good. The place looked like it was pretty new. That is the end of day one and we are pretty bushed with the early morning workout and having put in about 230 miles. It was about 7 pm when we arrived at Meeker so by the time we ate and go a room and cleaned up it was getting late and we were ready to catch some zzzzz's. Stay tuned for The Toymans description of events and his photos. Day two to follow.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 11:17 AM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote