View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
April Turns Fifty and Gets Viola-ted: Grand Canyon North Rim

We stand at the edge in awe watching the thunderstorm across the Canyon.
We have about an hour of riding to our campsite in the woods.
As we watch the last glorious light of the day fade away we realize
It will be a long ride in the dark dodging deer.

I can hardly believe I'm at the Grand Canyon again. This is my fourth motorcycle trip here in the past year.
The last trip was only two months ago when I shared The Best of the Grand Canyon With My Son.

This trip began with a PM from my friend Diek.

Quote:
Hey Dave!

I'm in Tucson for a spell, probably a couple weeks even. Have moto will travel! Trailer rig, both sets of wheels, violas,

tent, the works! Would you like to meet up for a ride? Preferably somewhere at high elevation, it's damn hot here! I'm
even up for an overnighter or two...

Diek is well-known by most here as viola-tor of the long running RR: VIOLA-TING AMERICA - Chasing the dream of music and motos

Hmmm... With the hottest August on record in progress and the recent big forest fires consuming Arizona,
I figured the North Rim just might be the only cool place left.

The last time I rode with Diek was in 2009 when we spent a day riding KTM 990s on Southern Arizona Border Roads.

I was looking forward to getting out to some of the remote viewpoints down rough trails.
There are still plenty of places I have yet to explore up at the North Rim.

Diek ended up with last minute electrical problems with his KTM. He would work feverishly (Literally, he was working
outside in Tucson heat) up until the morning of the trip. With the bike still not running he informed me he could borrow
his girlfriend's new Ducati or her older Ninja. He didn't feel right about wearing out her new bike so would be taking
the little Ninja 500. He has plenty of experience riding the Ninja on rough dirt roads. The trip is back on!

Viola-tor fits on a NINJA, Right? KEEEAAH!

I go to the garage. The big KTM is all loaded and ready to go, but sitting in the corner was April, saying "Pick ME! Pick ME!"

So as Diek started across the hot desert from Tucson to my place in Phoenix, I hurriedly unpacked the KTM and loaded up April,
My beloved 2002 Aprilia RST1000 Futura.

The Road Warriors

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 01:02 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote