View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
Day 1

We meet at my place in Phoenix after Diek rode across the hot desert from Tucson.
He had to ride through some dust storms which can be a real hazard along I-10.
It's late afternoon before we depart my place. We planned to head straight up to
Flagstaff for dinner and a campsite outside of town.

While heading up I-17 the skies are threatening to dump on us. We pass a sign warning of a crash and closed highway ahead.
The rain wouldn't be unwelcome since it was 118 degrees leaving Phoenix.

I quickly decide to change plans and jump off at HWY 69 towards Prescott. We'll just have to take the scenic route.
We get cooled down with a brief shower and miles of wet roads as we continue to skirt the edges of nasty looking storms.

We stop for a break at a scenic spot on Mingus Mountain.

The viola-tor makes a few passes for the camera on the Ninja.

From Mingus Mountain the highway runs down to Jerome, across the Verde Valley, and to the red cliffs of Sedona on the other side.

We stop for fuel in Sedona. Diek is tired from wrenching on the KTM so long, and we are both getting hungry.

We sit outside of a sandwich shop in Flagstaff (Something you wouldn't want to do in Tucson or Phoenix right now.) for dinner.
We spent about two hours there visiting before leaving to find a place to sleep. I know a spot where we can set up
camp for the night not far from town.

As we are leaving town Diek notices April's tail lights stopped working. We pull over on the freeway to check it out.
When punching it didn't work this time, we ride ahead to a gas station to attempt repairs. We disassemble April's
tailsection to get to the bulbs. While Diek runs inside to check for replacement bulbs, I notice the damn things are now
working. We put April back together and headed off to set up our nylon mobile homes.

dave6253 screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 06:11 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote