View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #513
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,070
Cold Kiwi, Old Whanga Rd & the 42 Traverse (cont'd)

Bart unfortunately wasn’t able to stay for the 42nd Traverse ride, & buggered off home early Monday.

I was late (unfortunate recurrent theme this trip) meeting Mark_S. Out onto the 42nd about 10.00am. Mark_S had done this after splitting from us Saturday, & had commented that it was a little rougher in places than usual.

I have to say that the 42nd is one of my 'happy places'.

Fell off at the rock wall. Came too far left, lost traction in the loose stuff, didn't have enough momentum. Then the bike slid backwards & I lost an indicator. Looking down the rock wall..

Yes that is a stream of oil following Gus, not water.

It seems that I hadn't fully tightened the oil cooler banjo at last service, & the cold stream crossing was the final straw, so it started leaking. Fortunately I spotted it in time. Looks like I lost about 1/2 a litre.

Made it to Ohakune by just after 3.00, just in time to see the Coffee Shop closing. Damn. I really needed a coffee to restore energy levels.

Mark_S led us down a sideroad on the way to Taihape, a mix of tight gravel & sealed road. Sorry to say I wasn't really in the mood for it by then. Made it to Taihape by 4.00pm, straight to MacDonalds - Kiwiburger, washed down by a Macca's Latte, tanked up. Amazing what food does for your energy levels & head space.

Took the Mangaweka - Rangiwahea - Cheltenham option on the way home, grouse road, sunstrike was an issue at times, beautiful sunset, home by 8.00pm.

Man, I'm moving like an old fella today. Fortunately I planned ahead & took the day (Tuesday) off. Punting round an elderly fat Beemer can take it out of a fella.

Quotes from the weekend ....'Embrace The Ruts'..&.'I am an Enduro King...'. No - really. Picture Richard Hammond driving the Bowler Truck from Top Gear a few years ago..Not something you really believe, but at that place, & at that time, a feeling of...

Will have to change a left head gasket shortly. It's seeped ever since I fixed the valve clearance adjusters - when I needed to let tension off 4 studs to gain access. This ride it was keeping the leather on my oiled boots supple.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:17 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote