View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #25
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Day 3, Lake City to Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Only one problem for the following day, when I finally got into bed I felt like crap and was shivering ..........
The plan had been to take the following morning, detour from the TAT and explore the San Juans. Rejoin the TAT to Rico in the afternoon. We'd been kicking the idea of Black Bear pass around in our heads.

I woke the next morning feeling pretty grim and was very sluggish getting started. One of the things that didn't work well on the KTM was the Trailtech side stand, a lot stronger than OEM but leaves the bike standing too tall. I spent the whole trip searching out decent camber spots to stop. This morning as I was loading the Giant Loop, the bike decided to fall over narrowly missing Brian. It was definitely one of those mornings where nothing goes right.

We got to breakfast at the Tic Toc diner around 10.30am and they had just stopped serving breakfast It would be 30 minutes until lunch began or we could have a cinnamon roll for $5.50. It was a good cinnamon roll to be sure but not $5.50 good, also the service was terrible, our waitress was permanently on the telephone. Some time during breakfast I started feeling ever more loopy so it was decided that we'd ride up Cinnamon Pass, I'd rest and Brian could go explore without me dragging him down.

Tic Toc Cafe:

Heading up towards Cinnamon Pass, super easy trail but I wasn't feeling good so I took it fairly easy:

Cinnamon Pass:

It was fairly windy at the pass, so we quickly dropped the 1000' down to Animas Forks where I would rest while Brian rode upto Engineer Pass. I had a good hour nap lying on the floor of one of the abandoned buildings and felt a lot better when Brian returned:

After this we quickly headed over Hurricane Pass:

By this point I'm feeling pretty good again. Shocker! We stop at the junction marked to Corkscrew Pass and after a little bit of nav fudging realise we're supposed to head up over Corkscrew. It's lucky we didn't take the SE route as we'd have missed a treat. Nice twisty decent and fabulous views. It would be fun to take a couple of hours and explore some of the side trails:

After this the road down to Highway 550 straightens out with a few spots to goon off and get some air

At the junction of 550, I decided that the cLever lever is still not adjusted right and thats what is causing the clutch to slip in soft stuff. I reinstall the stock Magura lever, there is a slight sandy hill so I take a few laps to verify it's better. Brian laments the fact that every place I decide to do this clutch adjustment is full of mosquitos.

We run into some dirt bikers loading up, yet another reason to come back and explore here. Sounds like there are some good trails.

After this we head down Hwy 550, it looks like it's going to rain (thunderstorm) and sure enough it does. It's raining on us most of the way upto Ophir pass but quits just before we reach the pass:

View from the other side looking down towards Ophir:

Ophir is a cool little village. Nothing in the way of facilities but I guess it's overflow from Telluride, wonder how expensive it is to live there?

After this it's about 15 miles of highway into Rico. Since we were staying about 15 miles South of town we stopped for dinner on the way through town. We eat at a newly opened cafe called Dew South which was excellent cafe cuisine with a southern twist. Across the street is the Argentine Grille which is supposed to be of considerable renown but we wanted something cheaper and more low key. After this we stopped at the liquor store for a couple of beers, since I was buying, Brian chose a $12 bottle of wheat beer

We hit the road just before sunset and rode the 15 miles South to the Circle K Ranch. As we pulled into the cabin we saw a pair of KTMs (525 EXC and 450 XC-W) parked outside, turns out this is quite a popular place to stay if you're riding the single track near Rico. It was fun to talk to these guys, they were pretty experienced riders. About ninety minutes later we hit the sack, pretty tired for a relatively short day (for me at least, Brian was less of a loser).

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 02:11 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote