View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Well, everyone likes a fresh start, so I figured I should kick the new thread off since our old one vanished like the T-Rex Ok, I was meaning to answer another fellow 690 owners question about weather I was giving up on the 690 and going to the roundel.

I picked up a clean used 2007 BMW G650X for my dual sport hack project, so the wife and I can enjoy some trail riding together. My legs are too long for us to both fit on anything smaller than a Goldwing. I have not given up on the 690 and I think I might have discovered the issue....

I think it's a bad fuel pump and after some deep thinking, it makes sense to me. The pump has probably been marginal since the day I bought it and has gotten progressively worse as I've ridden it. After removing the return line to the pump housing, it seems to have aggravated the issue and the pump has suffered. I do think the pump has been over heating and boiling the fuel, which creates a vapor lock situation.

I've got another pump that I'm working on stuffing in the OEM holder, so with luck I might be able to test it tomorrow if I can get out of work at a decent time. After an hour in the fumes, I had to run into the house and sit down

Dirtjack, you're correct about getting the correct fuel line for inside the tank, the hose has started to soften and break down.