View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
I've got some questions for the Vortex owners here...

I've spent quite a bit of time screwing around with my '08 SMC. You know, trying different maps, playing with the F-L switch in TuneECU, replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the injector, adjusting the throttle sensors, all the standard stuff. The result is that my bike always starts easily, idles well, and pulls cleanly through the rev range with good power. No complaints there.

But whatever I do, I still can't get rid of that on-off lurch at low throttle openings. Drives me crazy during my commute as there's a good section of moderately heavy surface street traffic moving about 25 mph. It's very hard to be smooth. I get a lesser version of the same issue in third and fourth steady-state cruise. I can't get rid of it.

So my question is this: with all the other benefits of the Vortex I read about in the now vanished thread, does it fix _my_ problem? More power, quicker response, all that's great, I just want to be able to ride smoothly in traffic and slow dirt sections.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Add the stalling issues on top, and there you go (I had problems with that). When you order the Vortex, state if you have an open airbox setup or stock. You will get 10 useful maps configured for you airbox setup. I have the closed / stock, and so is my Vortex configured.
If it doesn't take all the jerkyness away, it's definitely day and night difference. I have found two maps I am using for my type of riding and it's the power map 1 and traction map 1. They can be put on a handlebar switch and they're very different. As the power map just feels like an explosion from bottom, the traction map really hesitates and smooths out everything from low to mid. The traction map makes it nice again in traffic. It doesn't go completely away, but good enough. Another factor is that the EPT is totally bypassed, so it makes it pure throttle by wire" and the throttle is superlight compared to how it was.

Anyway, all stalling has gone away also, so I cannot be more happy. It also lifts the front much easier in power map mode. Send an email to Richard at Vortex and discuss which maps will fit your bike setup. He is really kind and service minded.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote