View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
stingraysktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new exhaust system for my 690 and went with the Wings unit. I had been concerned about sending money to Slovenia and was glad to find a US distributor by the name of Adventure Rider Warehouse. The price was fair and the costumer service was great. I had thought about getting the Akrapovic but since it was priced around $950 I went the Wings which was only $550.

The install was straight forward and only took about 2hrs, some of that time was spent taking pictures and video to show the temperature and audio differences between the stock pipe and the Wings pipe. Here’s a before and after picture:

Stock Exhaust:

Wings Exhaust:

After the install I ran the 15 minute idle procedure so the EFI would self adjust to the new exhaust. I did not make any changes to the EFI mapping. Afterwards I rode the bike and felt a noticeable throttle response improvement as well as an improved bottom end. I’m still running the stock intake filter so plan to change that next.

Weight
I weighed each exhaust and found the Wings to be approximately half the weight of the stock pipe. The stocker is 10.26lbs vs 4.51lbs for the Wings.

Stock:

Wings:

Sound
The Wings pipe is not much louder than the stock pipe but does have a throatier sound. I’m using the large end cap in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhP3GqIpek8

Temperature
The Wings unit runs much cooler than the stock unit. Here’s a video of a temperature test that I ran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqJc1pFE3jk

Overall I’m very happy with the Wings exhaust as I feel it makes the bike run better but more importantly I like the lower operating temperature. The stock pipe was melting everything that came in contact with it. I’ve read where riders where having a hard time finding a place to buy a Wings unit in the US, I highly recommend the Adventure Riders Warehouse. They provided the product at a fair price with great service.

stingraysktm screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 10:17 AM
stingraysktm is offline   Reply With Quote