View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #49
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Day 4 redux - Rico to Moab

Okay, lets try again with day 4. Hopefully no brownouts this time.

We were up early at the Circle K ranch after a good nights sleep. One of the things we discussed with the dirt-riders next door the previous night was the sketchy RFS oil glass window. They said I could have some oil to top off with if necessary. It was 8am and I felt bad about knocking on their door, so I let the KTM warm up for 10 minutes, ostensibly so I could check the level but it also had the effect of waking them up Actually I think they were up but it makes me chuckle.

We got going around 8.30am and headed for coffee at Annie's High Ground Coffee:

Sitting outside in this picture is Felix Snow. He was quite the character, a world champion disabled skier. We chatted to Felix for a while, a few other locals showed up. Amusingly (to me) they were mostly the same ones who were hanging outside Dew South the night before.

I think we were rolling by about 9.30am. Not horrible on the loser scale. We start off on gravel roads and after about 10 miles, switch onto jeep trails:

Then onto an ATV trail that reminded me of the OBDR which isn't my favorite riding:

[/url]

After this there was a long downhill section, not sure if Brian has any photos but there were numerous odd dead ends where they'd run the digger off the trail for a few feet. I don't have any pics, just this one:

Then it was straight gravel roads into Dove Creek. As soon as we started descending it got pretty warm. We stopped for a sandwich and soda at the gas station at Dove Creek. Uninspiring place.

Soon after lunch we're into Utah, more straight roads lead us towards Monticello:

We make the mistake of going into town rather than just bypassing it but fairly soon after we start seeing the Utah scenery we came for:

The downside of today's ride was that there was quite a lot of pavement. So I'd be checking the GPS for side detours. We took one down a short wash, then I found this 2 mile clay track which was quite fun, very slippery where wet:

Shortly after we enter the South La Sal block. Gravel roads of varying quality, some nice views and a lot of cows:

The La Sal block is basically a large plateau overlooking Moab. We arrive at a junction, it says 22 miles to Moab. It's 5pm and I turn left. In the back of my mind I'm hoping to get to Moab before 6pm to pick up oil and filter cleaning supplies. It turns out the TAT route is actually to the right and closer to 45 miles via Sand Flats road. It's a great ride though the surface is basically slick rock covered with marble sized gravel. Almost to Moab we run into a guy from the East Coast riding a 625SXC with the 9 liter tank, he must have liked stopping to fill up

We arrive into Moab about 7pm. I think this is where I first convince Brian that getting the iPhone out and surfing over to motels.com is a good idea. We're in the parking lot of the LaQuinta where I've just been inside to find out they want $150/night for the room. Thanks to motels.com we find out that Super8 is probably our best bet, a phone call later and we have a room secured for $75.

It's on the far north end of town so it's another squidly shorts and flip-flop ride into town for dinner where we eat at Pasta Jays. Turns out it's a (Boulder based) chain, I expect we could have found something better. I bail from dinner early because the waiter says there is a place which may sell oil open till 9pm but it turns out it closed at 8pm.

We head back to the motel where Mr CrazyLoser decides he'll clean his air filter, install an oiled filter skin over the top and head to the bike store the next morning to reoil the filter. Somewhere along the way I lose all common sense and decide to bring the pan of gasoline into the room to do the cleaning . This a) stinks out the room b) irritates Brian to no end. With my tail between my legs I go outside to finish up the cleaning.

We do laundry and hit the sack.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 12:50 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote