View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #41
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Cape Town meet and greet!

Alright...let's get this RR going. After 36 hours of traveling in coach, I finally arrived in Cape Town...worn, battered, stiff, and with a headache from all the great South African Pinotage wine. I anxiously ran to baggage claim, just hoping and preying that all my riding gear made the journey as well. I was ecstatic to see my bag in one piece, with my zip tie still on the zipper. I collected my bags and looked for my transportation, which was arranged by Motoaventures. To my surprise, there was a driver waiting there for me who loaded me and my gear into a Mercedes C class. What a nice way to start off my adventure!

We were all staying at the V and A Waterfront hotel in Cape Town. I quickly checked in (very nice rooms BTW) and ran down to the bar to see if anyone had checked in yet. I heard the group before I saw them. After some intros, we had a few beers, then off to a pub for some more beers. People had traveled from all over for this trip...USA, Canada, Australia, Tasmania, Israel, UK, and Kuwait and Africa.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Downtown Cape Town

V and A Waterfront Hotel

What a great night. We all had a few too many beers, but the next day was our own. We were free to explore Cape Town and pick up our bikes at Cape Town BMW. I walked over with my buddy Jimmy to go pick up my bike. I originally signed up for a 1200 GS because the GS Adventure was not available. I got a call from Su the night before asking if I would like to have a GSA for the trip at no extra cost. Apparently, BMW was transporting the bikes down for the trip and the trailer carrying all the bikes flipped. They only had GSA's available. We hadn't even started the trip, and four bikes were totaled!! I was just stoked to have a GSA to ride!!

Pick a bike...any bike

I had one of only 5 1200 GSA's. Sweeeeet! I am not going to miss my F800GS!

One of two Land Rover support vehicles.

We met Charley, his tour manager Billy, and John from Motoaventures that day. They were running around and setting up the bikes with Garmin Zumos and tank bags. Charley was very talkative and just plain cool as shit! From that moment on, I knew this trip was going to be epic! We had our first group dinner that night, and then off to bed to get ready for our first big riding day!

This is the parking lot at the V and A hotel. We took over the lot!