View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Arizona Strip above Cedar Pocket - Virgin River Gorge

Photos from a solo ride from St. George to a viewpoint above the Virgin River Gorge (I-15). The ride was about 60 miles: 10 on pavement, 10 on smooth dirt/gravel, and the last 10 on rougher stuff.

Here's the start, all AZ dirt from here

The BLM road goes through a mining area -- got to take a look around.

Big equipment, seemingly abandoned in this area . . .

I've been on lots of roads on the AZ strip, but never on this one before. Got to check in out.

Nice warm temps now, about 90. The AZ strip is high elevation, about 5000-8000 ft, and get snow in winter.

Cattle grazing.

Smooth, easy dirt. My dad and father-in-law could both make it up here, no problem. Gaining elevation. Endless views in all directions.

Small desert wash. Steam crossing. Very unusual for this time of year. There was rain a day or two ago. Notice the chocolate brown color of the water.

Now getting a bit steeper and rockier. This might be challenging for Dad and wife's dad, visiting next week.

Climbing. Signs of forest fire in years past.

This is the BLM route. Notice the glove. Greetings, inmates

That's me -- RedRockRider. The turn-off to the Cedar Pockets Overlook. The "main" road works its way towards Mesquite, I think. Have to check that out another day.

The gate. You know the drill. Think we are now entering National Forest Service area, not just BLM land. No signs up here. It is pretty remote.

The TW appoaching the edge of the Virgin River Gorge.

Tower on the edge. Visible from I-15 below, if you know where to look.

At the tower.

At the edge looking north. The Virgin River cut this gorge, similar to Zion National Park. The other side is Utah. I often ride to these high points. Did so today, and will post up pics later. The AZ side, where we are now is 30 driving miles from St. George. The Utah side is about 15 miles. Great territory for motos!

With zoom on the point and shoot, you can see the trucks on I-15 below. This is at least a few thousand feet down.

And the TW near the edge, checkin' it out.

Had to motor back home in order to get the kid from karate. This makes the wife happy, which in turn makes me happy.

Lots of good dual sport ridin' on the AZ strip. Bring extra gas if you are going for long rides.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote