View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #534
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,084
Odlins Rd attempt

Andy Mac ph'd Thursday & invited me up to ride Odlins Rd with him & a friend Dave. I'd never ridden that track, & had some misgivings given Gus's weight issues, but agreed to give it an attempt. My qualms weren't helped by EddieB's comments in the Kiwibiker forum.

Met EddieB, Andy Mac, & Dave at Rimutex. Dave has a breathed on KLX 650 with a 685 kit in it, needle jet issues (far to rich), and a Pro Circuit exhaust that is even more obnoxious than Mark_S's, (if it is possible to imagine that). . The bike is also a mission to start. Dave seemingly has ADD & controls this by popping wheelies at every opportunity.

Just before Staglands we met another couple of Andy's friends at their Rivendell farmlet, riding a WR250R & a TT250R (looming senility has already wiped their names from my memory - sorry guys - I enjoyed meeting & riding with you).

As it turns out, the Akatarewas are closed after Staglands at present, while a couple of new bridges are put in. The first we could avoid by riding thru the creek, the second posed more of an issue, and after exploring some other options we flagged that.

Back to the farmlet, a quick call, & we have access to a track to the Antler Lodge, & forestry roads at the back of the farmlet. The view from Antler Lodge was awesome, but the one way track to the top of the hill at the back was more than Gus could handle, so we did a u turn, and headed out onto some other tracks.

The theme for the day was snow damage. The area had about 2 ft of snow a few weeks ago. Lots of trees & branches down, gorse draped across otherwise good tracks etc.

The above photos of me & Gus courtesy of EddieB.

The final track was a very steep descent on rotten rock, but totally closed in with gorse. The alternative was blocked with a large tree down. I tripoded most of the descent, with the bike switched off, and using the clutch as a brake. That worked real well. Quite a few gorse spines still made it thru the jacket, slapped me in the face, prickled at unexpected & inopportune moments.

Cool ride Andy. Towards the trail end of the spectrum for me. I would have done better with tyres with a bit more life in them.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 06:18 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote