View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Virgin River Gorge Overlook from North Side - Utah

Thursday I rode the AZ Strip to the South Side of the Virgin River Gorge. Today (Friday), I rode from St. George to the North Side of the Virgin River Overlook, just above the Cedar Pocket exit on I-15.

These dirt roads are where I ride most often. 3 miles of asphalt from my house to Bloomington, then dirt. There are lots a variations. It is about 15 miles to the easiest overlook points. Thanks for ridin' along.

On the dirt. Late afternoon light, flash takes shadow off the sign.

The TW200. Very cool bike. Bought this a year or two ago for my father-in-law to use when he comes to visit. Also share with my nephews. The bike is 100% stock. Will be adding the OEM rack shortly. Bike has been dropped three times. Once by father-in-law (on this ride one year ago). Once by me at the mailbox, and once my nephew flew over the handle bars. No on saw it, but he was fine. Lots of dirt on his helmet.

I'm 6' 1", about 185, and like to ride the TW. My WR is much more sophisticated, but the low seat height and light weight make the TW a good choice for off-road exploring, especially if solo. Plus my WR is at Brian Head right now. Will retrieve it this weekend. More on that later.

Gaining elevation. Late afternoon sky. Looking west.

The ADV salute! In the shadow . . .

The Olympus point & shoot, usually kept in the tank bag.

16 miles from my house on the West side of St. George. About 2K total on the TW, mostly driven by me.

At the top of the Virgin River Gorge - Utah side. Looking south to the AZ strip.

Food and drink, in the ADV tradition . . .

Checkin' out of few more overlook spots in low afternoon light.

The AZ strip is the flat shelf in the sunlight above the cliffs. The tower (from yesterday) is on this shelf. It is at least several miles across. I-15 and the Virgin River are several thousand feet below. If you have driven from Las Vegas north to Salt Lake, this was your route. Impressive road.

Ride safe fellow inmates. My dad and I will be riding bikes from Brian Head, via Zion, back to St. George this Sunday. Try to post up a few pics -- great scenery. Father-in-law visiting from PA next week. Got to get all the bikes in St. George so we can ride a bit.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 01:53 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote