View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Thumb Motos at Brian Head

Great day! At condo in Brian Head with wife, son, and Dad. Hiking and organizing the motos for a ride on Sunday from Brian Head back to St. George. Dad and I will ride from Navajo Lake down to the east entrance of Zion National Park, through the Zion tunnels, Springdale, then home to St. George.

Here are all the motos, pulled out of the garage for some fresh air and a short spin around Brian Head.

Some detail on the Kawasaki Versys. Is it true that the green ones are just a bit faster?

And the Vulcan 900. This bike is really my father-in-laws', but he leaves it with me in Utah. More on this later. A very cool bike. This is the one that the lovely wife likes to ride 2-up. She says the Versys makes her feel like her butt is up in the air too much. Huh?

My son wants his Kawasaki featured on ADV. We'll do a short ride around Brian Head tomorrow morning before he goes back to St. George in the car with mom. His KLX 110 - rock solid little bike.

Late afternoon. Getting gas at Brian Head's 24-hr self serve station. Convenient. And these bikes only hold ~2 gallons. My dad's Honda will go forever . . .

My WR at the Brian Head ski resort. For those inmates in driving distance, Brian Head is a great family friendly ski resort. Nothing steep, but great snow and no lines.

The road to Brian Head Peak. Just five minutes from Brian Head ski resort. Three miles of smooth dirt to the top, over 11,000 feet. This year the road was blocked with snow past the 4th of July. Easy drive in car or street bike if you're ever in the area. Great views.

Now the cool photos. Dad on his Honda, approaching the summit. Great sky! Carbeurated bike, but it runs great at 11,000 ft with no re-jetting. Just a slight loss of power, perhaps use the choke a bit more to start if cold.

My WR, with road below. Fuel injection. No problem with elevation. Very little loss of power.

Dad photographing his bike at the top.

And the photo of Dad. My dad did so many great things for me when I was a kid, it is nice to be able to introduce him to motorcycling in his 70s. He's into it, and a great riding companion. Lives on the same street in St. George, so he's always available for a quick get-a-way!

The summit. The high temp today was in the 60s, typically Brian Head is 30+ degrees cooler than St. George. Welcome reprieve in summer.

Summit house. Check it out if you ever get the chance. Thanks for riding along fellow inmates. Be safe.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 12:27 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote