View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,104
Overgrown Offroad Zombie

If BMW destruction bothers you, stick to the hover and resist the click.

I picked up this 2001 1150GS in a trade and realized that needed upkeep was more than I could afford...conversion to something better was my only choice or so the voices told me.

Start with this:

Watch the flea market and find an XRR front end:

Remove 149 pounds of crap to get to this:

Find a CR500 frame on the 'list for $65, it's steel and uses the same head bearings and races as an XR650R:

Cut a little bit at a time for mockup:

Tell silly Lily to stop bothering me:

Start making parts:

Enjoy the look on my Father-n-laws face when he sees what I've done to this fine BMW:

Start adding tube:

Realized I put the fuel tank mounts in the wrong spot, back bone hits the tank...hmm, I better put it on it's feet before I get too crazy with the welder.

That last picture was nine days into the build. I spent some time measuring and ordering parts between selling the 1150GS parts I don't need anymore. Figured out the tank mounting and some other stuff. Then I got the flu and lost 10 pounds, in recovery mode now...maybe some bike progress today.

Stay tuned...a buddy is helping me figure out how to run a stand alone electronic ignition without the Motronic and I'm putting carburators on it too.

I have to start test riding this thing by the end of October as my wife and I are riding it two-up in November all over Death Zombie Valley.