View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Thanks, Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
I was just in your neck of the woods last week. I had the ability to get out of town for 3 days and did what i usually do in these instances-head for UT. Spent 2 nights at Bryce, and just roamed the area. Went thru Brian Head at one point to eventually end up at one of my favorite spots-Cedar Breaks. Lighting, thunder and plenty of rain. But i loved every moment!...till the darn ranger ran me off the lookout point due to lighting.

I have been a frequent visitor to So UT since the mid 80's. Mainly for bikes & golf. I know your golf courses quite well, with Green Springs still my favorite. Most of my biking has taken me east, usually using SG as base camp. Just about all of the 13,000 mi on my '86 honda is in the UT red dirt. I just start it and it assumes it heading to Kolob res.

BUT, i've never been in the hills above VR gorge. I'm sure happy about seeing how accessible that area can be.

Your doing a wonderful job of highlighting So UT. I'll be reviewing your post with my Benchmark map soon. So please make sure you throw a bone with trail #'s & other hints.

Thank you again. Sam
Right on Sam! I use the Benchmark map also. Have found it to be most accurate. The area above the Virgin River Gorge on the north side (Utah) is called "Blakes Lambing Grounds." It is easiest to access from Bloomington, just south of St. George. The key street is Navajo Drive. It just turns to dirt, then keeps on going. There are lots of variations -- just keep gaining elevation.

From the high ground of Blake's Lambing Grounds you can see all the way back to St. George, the cliffs of Snow Canyon, with Pine Valley Mountain and Zion in the distance. In late afternoon light the views back are spectacular. This area is only 15 min from my house, and the area I ride most often. Happy to tour you around a bit when you're back in town.

There is lots of great riding/exploring from Gunlock/Veyo out to the Enterprise Reservoir, then back south to Motoqua (polygamist community), and over the Utah hill via "Hell Hole Pass" (West Peak).

Ride safe, my friend.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote